Tablets vs Injection

Options
Maturecheese
Maturecheese Member Posts: 130
edited 1. Mar 2018, 06:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am new to this forum and the whole auto immune malarkey but I have a question regarding methotrexate. I have just started taking them today at 15mg and from what i've read, I'm certainly not pleased having to take them. I have read that it's better to inject as there are less side effects but when I asked my hospital (S Wales) about injections I was told I can't have them as they cost more. Has anybody else come up against this on the NHS?

I hope this is the right thread for this question.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I've met you elsewhere.

Tablets are the usual first step with meth because they are cheap and easier for the patient to take. I started on the tablets back in the early 2000s but they gave me meth rash: it didn't itch, didn't hurt but certainly alarmed my rheumatologist when she saw it. When I restarted meth back in 2007 (in conjunction with an anti-TNF med) it was given via injection to avoid the rash reappearing. Some experience bad side effects with the tablets but I didn't; I did with leflunomide tablets (cracking headaches) and cyclosporine (I sprouted body hair to weirwolf proportions).

You've just taken your first dose so this is very early days for you. Injecting may be an option if you find the tablets too upsetting to your system but, believe you me, they are the nicer option if you can tolerate them: they take up far less space than boxes of syringes, sharps bins, medical gloves, wipes et al. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    Okey Dokey, point taken, I'll see how i get on for now. Thanks again.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    the tablets are very cheap , like a few pence , but they tend to increase the dose over the first year so its easier with tablets ,

When you read up on this drug remember its used at a lot higher dose to treat cancer , as for treating RA etc. folic acid helps with the side effects , it varies how much is given from one 5mg tab a week to six 5mg tabs everyday except MTX day

some of us have taken this drug for twenty years , hope it goes well for you
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    Thanks trepolpen,

Well I took 15mg on Monday and so far so good. No real side effects that I am aware of apart from feeling a bit tired and grotty on Wednesday. I took the Folic acid as instructed and I put it down to the first night (Tuesday) completely alcohol free.
    I am a bit concerned that the Rheumatologist has started me on 15mg, that seems a bit high if they are planning to increase it later.

I am still very sceptical about this drug which is basically a toxin but I'll give it a whirl for 6 months and see how I get on.

One last thing, I am really going to struggle trying to stay cold and infection free as although I don't work (the wife does) so I won't be in contact with people all the time, my lifestyle has never been, lets say germ avoiding, as I have always had a strong immune system (never catch others colds etc). I have a bad habit of putting my hands and fingers near or in my mouth for various reasons (nail biting being one) and it's not something you can just change.

Also I have had absolutely no advice regarding vaccinations form either the Rheumey or my GP. Lastly I have ordered surgical masks for the GP surgery and hospital visits, plus cotton gloves for petrol pumps etc and anti bacterial alcohol free hand wash if that's any good. Over the top? :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I recall one of my rheumatology nurses telling me that all 'scientific' meds are based on toxins derived from natural sources so meth ain't anything special in that regard (says she from the luxurious perspective of needing medical meds on a daily basis since the age of twelve so never thinks twice). We take it at miniscule doses compared to its use in other conditions, yes it can still cause problems for some but certainly not for all: feeling extra tired a day or so after the dose is not unusual.

I have never taken more than 15mgs of meth - who knows if the rheumatologist is planning to increase yours? If things go well it could even be reduced but clean water has to flow under a number of bridges before decisions will be made on that front. I am not surprised that no-one medical has mentioned that a flu jab is a sensible plan, they are so used to the routine they can forget the basics: I organise mine every year because my meds are not prescribed by the GP so I fall through their trawler net of recruits.

I have not gone down the mask route and won't because they offer very little protection. I wash my hands regularly (even if I've only been out to our post box) and keep anti-bac wipes in my bag for when I'm out and about. We are going out for lunch today and I will be wiping the table and swiping over the cutlery, god knows who will have been sneezing and coughing all over that. It's your over-active immune system that is causing your body to attack itself, this is the root of all auto-immune inflammatory conditions, something my Ma never understood. For her a strong immune system was a good thing as it fought off infection but arthritis, despite being a disease, is not an infection. This is why its activity needs to be suppressed: you are in the early days and mercifully free of joint damage, the meth or anything else you might try will help to keep that status quo and believe you me that is a good thing.

I love your user name: I need a bout of mature cheese every afternoon between 2.30 and 4.30, my daily cheese o'clock. Davidstow extra mature cheddar hits the spot . . . . . . ummmmmmm, cheddar . . . . . DD
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    dreamdaisy
    I hope you are right re my dose.

Unfortunately the flare up of my knees over Christmas did do some damage and my shoulder isn't too good but I'm sure there are a lot worse off than me.

The annoying thing at the moment is that now I'm on steriods I have regained a lot of mobility but that's been negated by my lower back. For the last week it's been painfully esp in the morning and eases as the day goes on. It feels different to the rest of the pain I had so I am assuming it's not an inflammatory problem

The user name came from my old dogs name, Cheese or Lord Cheeseman as we used to call him although I am a massive cheese fiend. Apparently it's inflammatory though so now I shouldn't eat a lot of it.

Anyway I need to stop banging on about myself so much and just say that I appreciate the info that I am gaining on here, thanks.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    'Bang on' as much as you wish, MatureCheese, though I assure you you're not doing :D

Welcome to the 'is this pain due to arthritis, meds or summat else' group :roll: A bit of a pain in itself, isn't it?

Cheese? Ever since I visited Dorset and tasted Blue Vinny even Stilton (Blue, of course) has had to take a back seat. I didn't know it was inflammatory but my dodgy stomach doesn't allow me to overindulge.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    "Welcome to the 'is this pain due to arthritis, meds or summat else' group :roll: A bit of a pain in itself, isn't it?"

:D:D:D

Spot on
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    For what it's worth I think you are making a very good fist of dealing with this new malarkey in your life. DD
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    dreamdaisy Thank You :D Lets hope I can keep it up.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    You can :D And, on the days when you can't, we're here to sympathise, empathise and give you a kick up the proverbail :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    As all is quiet on the cheese front I hope that means things are going OK. DD