Is anyone taking Methotrexate and reducing Sulfasalazine?

Options
Lainey
Lainey Member Posts: 2
edited 20. Feb 2018, 07:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am a newby to this forum, i have been on metho and sulfasalzine for 15 years, but after a referral to hospital and a break from metho for about a year due to severe coldsores, mouth ulcers about every month, i am now back on metho but a reduction of sulfasalazine 500 mg every two months, resulting in a final gram. However, I am suffering more than be fore, so anybody can tell me if they have had the same problems, as i am now experiencing problems with my hands, wrists, as well as the initial problem of my feet! Has anybody had the same problems?

Lainey

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lainey and welcome to the Arthritis forums.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing increased pain in other joints whilst having problems with side effects from reducing medication.

Getting the balance right is a never ending task and I'm sure you are in regular contact with your rheumatology consultant regarding this. There is some general information on the Arthritis Care web site regarding these DMARDS:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/treatments-aids-and-equipment/medication-for-your-arthritis-/disease-modifying-anti-rheumatic-drugs

and a useful series of pages from Arthritis Research on Sulfasalazine:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/sulfasalazine/possible-side-effects.aspx

I'm sure forum members with direct experience of taking both these drugs will be able to give good personal experiences that will help.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I've had similar problems, as I'm sure most of us have, when the meds aren't working. It seems your body was fine on the original meth / sulf combination but is unhappy on any less.

I'm afraid this is one for your rheumatologist, Lainey. We can sympathise and empathise but you clearly need the meds reviewing and either upping or changing.

I wonder why you were asked to reduce the sulf. Can you not take both as before?

I'm also wondering what your blood tests are showing. Sometimes they show the meds are working despite the pain we feel. Pain relief is a different problem and the GP can help with that.

When do you next see your rheumatologist? If it's some time off why not ring your hospital's rheumatology helpline for advice?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I took injected meth, sulph and injected humira for some time but eventually stopped the sulph as it was not making any difference: TBH I was forgetting to take it. I remain on injected meth and humira, they are controlling my PsA but have never done anything to ease the pain, my GP deals with that side of things.

I think you and your rheumatologist need a good chat about things, maybe it's time to change from meth to another DMARD; over my arthritic years I've taken tablet meth, leflunomide, sulph and cyclosporine. Are you still on tablet meth? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben