Things are Improving.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 28. Feb 2018, 12:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I think I am on the mend: I have been rendered bed-bound thanks to a dose of flu but things seem to be getting better. I am coughing far less, my temperature has been in my normal range for a few days and my appetite has returned. This afternoon I managed a twenty minute unaided (i.e.no sticks or rollator) walk which was not easy but necessary to do, I went further than I planned and returned home feeling I could do more. I haven't been to the gym since I joined (that's when this started) and I have done only one set of floor exercises in three weeks but hopefully I haven't lost as much on the fitness and stamina front as I feared. Time will tell, yes? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD, this is wonderful news that you are on the mend. I'm sure you'll be sensible and pace yourself. But, of course, you need to start somewhere so a walk is an eminently sensible way to begin.

I very much hope your recovery continues to go well. Take care of yourself.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    So pleased to hear this DD, you've had a rough time of it.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for responding, Grace and Daffy, you are very kind. I had fewer sleep disturbances than usual so that was pleasant, things are protesting this morning but that's par for our courses, isn't it? We are debating where to go for lunch today and whether to go away for a few days at some point during the next fortnight to celebrate our birthdays (they fall on consecutive days, we were born 364 days apart) so I am in bed, hunched over the keyboard researching North Norfolk, a favourite destination of ours in the bleak mid-winter. Brancaster is a possibility . . . . .

Meds-wise I have decided to leave the DMARD and anti TNF alone for another week because doing them could jeopardy our nebulous plans. DD
  • bluejay6497
    bluejay6497 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have been ill DD I'm so glad that you are feeling a whole lot better now. Sending gentle hugs your way.x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Woo hoo :D:D:D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Options
    researching North Norfolk, a favourite destination of ours in the bleak mid-winter. Brancaster is a possibility . . . . .
    Watch out for the windchill DD. ENE goes beyond bracing at this time of year!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oooh I love a good windchill, me, I feel so much better in the cold. We have not made any plans as yet.

We went down to Shotley Gate today and I walked along the shingly sandy beach with no doubts or qualms, then scrambled up a bit of a slope to reach the path, again with some confidence. Not a crutch or rollator in sight. Brilliant. At this rate the BB will be returned to the County Council - there's a thought. :shock: DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So pleased to hear things are finally on the up for you - and I hope they continue to improve - enjoy researching for your break.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Macbee
    Macbee Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Glad you feel better. It's such a joy when mobility turns out to be better than expected. Hope you can make the most of it and enjoy your birthday's.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's a long story, Macbee; over the past six months I've been working hard at improving my mobility, I was fearful that nearly three weeks in bed would have had a severe impact on things but pleasingly not! I have both psoariatic and osteo arthritis, the PsA affects all my toes and my knees, the OA my ankles, knees and hips so it's all dross from the waist down. DD
  • Hobble
    Hobble Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been I'll DD and glad you're on the mend x
  • casandra
    casandra Member Posts: 26
    Options
    so sorry you've been ill. hope you get back in full swing soon. A break awAY is great as no chores to worry about - just relax and enjoy. t4591
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies, it is rather lovely to feel a little more inclined towards doing stuff. After a lovely lazy morning reading the papers (I say lazy, there was the small matter of dealing with two loads of washing and making breakfast) I have thoroughly changed the bed, including turning and revolving the mattresses with his assistance and we went for a short walk (but a longer one than the other day, result!) I am in urgent need of replacing lost calories . . . a bag of pickled onion flavour Monster Munch is broadcasting its siren call from the kitchen . . . .

I shall be returning to my art class tomorrow, I've missed three of the five drawing sessions due to illness so hopefully will do better with the watercolour programme. As for going away the subject has not been raised and, to tell the truth, I am more inclined to stay at home. DD
  • daffy2
    Options
    As for going away the subject has not been raised and, to tell the truth, I am more inclined to stay at home. DD
    A wise decision just at the minute I think. Better to look at the snow from the comfort of your home than the inside of a car stuck in a weather related incident or a holiday cottage with inverse weather sensitive heating!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Wise words as usual from your good self, Daffy. I am currently sat in great comfort on my sofa, watching the snow tumble down. I have lit twenty three tea lights and they are twinkling away. Bliss. We are now considering a mid-week city break, current front runners are Canterbury, Lincoln and Rochester.

We have eaten crumpets. :D DD
  • Dragonfly17
    Dragonfly17 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Good to hear you are feeling much better and able to get out in the "fresh" air. Love the picture you posts of the tea lights and crumpets. :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi DD sorry I have missed your other thread
    There is no holding you down, the flu is so nasty , but I am glad to hear you are on the mend..a few days away will do you both good..must say I don't mind it cold if we have the sun.. :) you carry on improving..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, Barbara, I am doing my best! Our plans about going away are changing on a daily basis, I think it best to see how the weather pans out as I don't fancy leaving the house with minus temperatures in the offing: I want to be - nay, need to be - warm and comfy in my own surroundings as life is a little grim due to the cold and today I have taken humira to deal with increasing levels of auto-immune nonsense. :roll: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you Sharon, I'm in bed watching said beast making our garden look very pretty.

I have no doubt we have both had flu but were less affected than we would have been thanks to the jab - mind you it was rough while it lasted! Having done the humira my toothache has trebled in its intensity, I can only presume I have an abscess. :roll: I've left a message on the dentist's answserphone, I hope they can't fit me in today because it's treacherous outside. Mind you, now I've rung someone shouldn't that make it disappear? :) DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    DD, I can recommend Canterbury, but as I'm only 20 minutes away from there, I'm rather biased! Rochester has some interesting history as well.

Good to know you are on the mend. Hope the remnants of your bugs do the decent thing quickly and disappear for good!

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • daffy2
    Options
    Mind you, now I've rung someone shouldn't that make it disappear? :) DD
    Not until you turn up for the appointment DD.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    :lol: DD