Blood results and current status

Options
Maturecheese
Maturecheese Member Posts: 130
edited 13. Mar 2018, 04:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Finally got my blood results re anti CPP's and RF. These were taken in Nov last year.

Anti CPP's was 6.1 and RF was strangely 6.1 also. Apparently this is a negative result.
My GP also did a bone profile on me back in April last year and that was also negative thankfully.

My last CRP was 125 and ESR 80 and these were done at the beginning of Feb this year.

Oddly although I am on steroids (still on 15mg this week) and 15mg methotrexate, I have had a painful lower back for the past two weeks or more. It is in the region of the tailbone and it helps if I'm sat down. It's worse today as I have been out in the bitterly cold weather shortening my metal trailer to satisfy the jobsworths up the civic amenities site as apparently my trailer was an inch too long. Anyway my GP told me to mention it next week when i go for my bloods at the Rheumey dept.

As for what I actually have as a condition the GP said they will wait and let time reveal what it could be. I was concerned that 15mg of meth was a high dose to start me on and he said that they wanted to throw a lot of meds (Steroids and meth) at me to start to prevent any more joint damage and hopefully the dose will be lowered eventually.

Anyway that's the current situation for now.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Brief reply as I've had a tooth removed.

Your inflammatory markers (CRP and ESR) are high considering you have been taking steroids, obviously the meth has yet to kick in but that can take up to twelve weeks. I hope you will have further bloods done in a fortnight or so to check how your body is coping with the meth. No idea about the back, sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    as a general rule any blood results of CRP greater than 50 would not be RA , there are other causes for raised CRP & being negative for RA makes this more likely , infection & trauma can cause this ,

one other thing is RA dont normaly cause problems with backs & hips , just think you need to see a consultant pretty soon to get your condition under control & dont want to be on high strength steriods to long as they can damage your health , a maintainance dose is fine
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    Perhaps i should have pointed out that I only started steroids on the 10th feb and I'm on a tapering dose with 2 1/2 weeks left. It's 20mg 15mg 10 mg then 5 mg each week but `I have to stay on 15mg for two weeks due to my delay in taking meth. The bloods were done before this. I started the meth on the 19th feb due to the delay in starting meth.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    betwwen 5 & 10mg steriods is a maintainace dose & you should not get the long term damage from them

as for Methotrexate I took this drug for 18 years , alot of people have little or no side effects from it ,
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    I am not going to be on a maintenance dose regarding steroids, the Rheumey is tapering me off them within a month apparently. I can't see how that will work but hey ho they must know what they're doing :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm rubbish on the interpretation of letters.

I do know, though, that they do like to clobber it properly at the outset. I can barely remember starting meth but I think it was about 10mg one week, 15 the next and soon up to 22.5 for quite some time before being on 15 for years. Recently, I've been able to lower it even more but an enforced layoff, before and after surgery, convinced me I do still need it.

I can't interpret your tailbone pain but, as for the steroids, I do hope you get a happy marriage between their tailing off and the meth taking up the slack. It's the lowest doses of steroids that can be hard to get off but, luckily, you've not been on them long so might not have a problem at all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, hopefully I'll be a bit more informed come next Wednesday when I have to go and get my bloods done at the Rheumet dept.
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    Well went for bloods last Wednesday, all pretty simple but I expect to be informed of the results so I'm hoping for a printout next time of the previous tests.

It's a bit daft how I'm supposed to get my meds (meth). I have to phone the ward prescription helpline, leave my name, dob, hospital number and the prescription I need with a fortnights notice. They then send it to my local pharmacy for me to pick up. What could possibly go wrong?

Tapered down to 5mg of pred now for a week then none so pains all coming back and my left clavicle which has been clicking and moving for months is a bit swollen where it meets the sternum. Back to the GP's this week I guess.

At least I have a stock of Codeine :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I haven't had my blood results for months, in the good old days when I went to the hospital for the weekly injection I had a booklet which they would fill in for me but once I started doing my own that went out the window. These, however, are early days for you and it sounds as though your hospital employs a rather convoluted method of prescribing etc.

You are now at the sharp end of ending the pred, the pain will return (like death and taxes it's one of life's guarantees) and I empathise: having a break from it is lovely, its return anything but. DD
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    GP sent me for an x ray today regarding the clavicle so I'll know what it is in around a week though she seems to think it's arthritis. I popped into Rheumatology today for a chat as I was passing from the X ray dept . It turns out I will get my results in the little booklet as described. I was also told I was being over the top regarding wearing cotton gloves in the hospital so that I don't pick up anything, I personally don't see the harm in wearing them. Alas the meds have to be ordered as described. Had no joy in getting to the bottom of my lower back pain that I've had for around 4 weeks, since I started the steriods more or less which is strange so I'll just have to put up with it for now.

Regarding the meth side effects, I have had a couple of sores in my mouth on my palette which came and went and an occasional bad stomach. Also slightly head achy sometimes but barely noticeable, a bit like a dehydrated head after drinking and it happens in the morning so maybe I need to drink more water at night. Tiredness but that could be the disease and sometimes that slightly light headed feeling when I move my eyes. Not looking forward to the next few weeks painwise but apart from all that, it's all good :D
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    If wearing the gloves gives you peace of mind then you wear them: they are not the ones who are living with this are they? I often say that the medicos live with the theory whereas we have the reality - a very different thing.

If you have had a couple of mouth ulcers then rheumatology need to know about it, the most likely thing is they will increase your folic acid intake (it can be taken up to six days per week but never on the day of the medication) but this is something for them to decide. The tiredness could be the meth, the disease or a bit of both, we never know. As for the slightly swimmy feeling I have no idea what causes that but dehydration could be the cause. I average two pints of water per day in addition to endless cups of tea, headaches are rare for which I am thankful.

Keep up the good work, Maturecheese, you're doing OK. I'm sorry about the lower back but other stuff rocks up due to ageing or accident even if we are not aware we've done something! Please let us know what the clavicle Xray reveals. DD
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    Thanks will get back on here when I have more info so might be a week or more.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ok, see you then and good luck. DD