I am a guided missile

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
edited 7. Mar 2018, 14:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Probably an unguided one.

I'm really a bit of a pacifist but Mr SW is not a good wheelchair driver. Truth be told he's not even a good driver but please don't tell him that :wink: He thinks it's all the others and, to that end, keeps up a running commentary on their errors :roll:

Normally I can walk round supermarkets but today, owing to last week's weather and lack of delivery it had to be the enormous one which I have to do by wheelchair as we don't even know where stuff is so we always end up doing about three circuits. After that tempers are so frayed what's not bought stays on the shelves.

Well, give him a wheelchair with a trolley clipped to the front and my beloved husband becomes every shopper's nightmare. Or, more to the point, I do. I am the one abandoned diagonally across the aisle. I am the one whizzed round in a circle when he realises he's taken a wrong turn. I am the one apologising profusely when we just fail to skittle half a dozen 'non-weaponised' shoppers. I could do with hazard warning lights, flashing indicators and a horn.

We have returned. Intact. No-one was hurt. But quite a few were astonished, annoyed, alarmed and suddenly aware that they could actually move a lot quicker than they had previously thought.

I do apologise. Next week we're back to home deliveries. You are now safe.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Another vivid picture skilfully painted by your good self, Sticky, food shopping is tough enough without the added complications of chariot plus big basket. I empathise with both of you, it's easy to comprehend the speed of the fraying tempers . . . . Mr DD is off to Sainsbury's tomorrow, whatever he forgets he forgets . . . . . I can feel philosophical about it at the moment but whether that will last, well, who knows? My temper is currently constantly frayed thanks to the absence of tooth. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    More like a guided miss-aisle Sticky.

I noticed a couple of stores have now put out notices at the entrance asking users of electric buggies to keep to a walking pace.....
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I love it.. :lol::lol: maybe a big stick to point him in the right direction.. :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,459
    Options
    Perhaps a yellow flashing light on a pole might help your self oreservation and aided by a bleeper, of course! What about an old tyre around the front, dodgem wheelchairs haha!

I put a large air horn on my bike, people on our dual use paths certainly take notice of it, more so than my silly bike bell.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions :D

Airwave, I'm not at all sure about the dodgems look. I suspect that would only encourage him :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Maybe a warning siren to let shoppers know to take cover?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Slosh, I like the sounds of the warning siren. Bring it on I say!

SW - I hope you had the appropriate protective clothing on (padded jacket, trousers, etc., with steel toe-capped boots) for safety? But at least you got (partly!) stocked up.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!