5 weeks post op

Options
Hangerbird
Hangerbird Member Posts: 5
edited 7. Mar 2018, 04:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi i am 5 weeks post op and already am over the moon with the result of my right tkr. My physio says I am 5 Months post op recovery. Due to see my surgeon in 7 days.

It was hard work and discipline. Prior to my op 26 Jan 2018 I had read not one forum but had heard nightmarish accounts of pain and inability to do exercises.
It is one of the biggest joint replacement surgeries you will ever have. Pain is to be expected and pushing that knee to it's limit is vital and the only way your new knee will be a success.

I had soreness no pain. I describe it as sunburn. It is sore. Exercise at least 5 times a day. Make sure you take medication prior to exercise. You do need them. I went into my op hoping the pain I had 24/7 would be alleviated. I am pain free. I walked around the home without crutches 9days post op. I swam 3 weeks post op. Walking is tiring but my internal knee has yet to repair and my energy is spent on that repair. I was cleared to drive at 4 Weeks. My op did not stop me doing any of the things I did before the op. Don't be fooled they all take longer. I knelt at 4 weeks. The feeling was not horrid but strange. I knelt by mistake!!!! Pleased I did it.

I had two hurdles to consider in having the op. I am an insomniac and a 24/7 carer. I am 65 years Young if I can give any more info please ask.

My physio said he wishes he could bottle my determination.

It is not an easy road but so worthwhile

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi hangerbird. Welcome to the forum,so glad your op went well and you have posted the results in a positive and infectious manner optimism is good when it gets you to recover quickly.
    The forums are full of lovely understanding and encouraging people who will understand what you are going through
    I am sure you will soon get lots of chats and support.
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Congratulations, it is terrific news that you have been able to get on so well with your new joint. It sounds from your account as though your case was very straightforward which is a bonus and you realised that recovery is hard work, something which often takes people by surprise: I think they are so focused on the operation itself they forget about the 'afterlife'. I wish you well, keep up the happy, active and pain-free living! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hangerbird
    Hangerbird Member Posts: 5
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Congratulations, it is terrific news that you have been able to get on so well with your new joint. It sounds from your account as though your case was very straightforward which is a bonus and you realised that recovery is hard work, something which often takes people by surprise: I think they are so focused on the operation itself they forget about the 'afterlife'. I wish you well, keep up the happy, active and pain-free living! DD

Positivity is needed my knee was straightforward yes buthat was rushed through as it was seriously affecting my already twisted arthritic spine and both hips. I am looking into this as being a long road to full recovery I also know that my new knee is a blessing and I will work to get it to an almost real knee . I know it will not be like a new knee . I worked hard yesterday on exercises and no rest apart from getting in the swimming pool and swimming today I emptied a small freezer and out out some rubbish I am shattered exercises will be cut short today but still done take care

I hope I can contribute with my positive attitude. BTW we all have bad days I call mine time for a kick up the backside if my feet would go back that far
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Good luck stories are always welcome on here so thanks for sharing yours :D I've had brilliant results with all three of my TKRs (I started young) and I quite agree that doing the exercises is vital.

I would caution others, though, not to try to emulate your success except as directed by their own physio. We are all different. We have different types of arthritis, different 'other conditions', different meds and experience pain differently. Like you, I've been very lucky and I've also been in the fortunate position of having a husband around to pick up the slack of housework thus enabling me to concentrate on recovery.

I hope all continues to go well for you :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    They should have fitted you with wheels then you'd be really fast! Haha, good to hear a success story.