Consultant Appointments

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 7. Mar 2018, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
After having OA most of my life I have just been referred to a orthopaedic consultant, I having been wondering why it took so many years to get a referral and then a warning of 'don't be surprised if you get refused', what on earth is going on? Too many R's in the month, too ugly to get an appointment, appointments stop at 60?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    What? A handsome young dude like you too ugly for an appointment :wink:

No. I think the clue is in the word 'surgeon', Airwave. Surgeons remove bits of us. If we get lucky they sometimes put other bits in instead but not always.

I can only guess that, until now, it's been felt that, however painful bits were, you were better off with them than without them. I hope that's not the case and that the surgeon can make your life easier.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Its about my spine, a number of the joints have 'significant' wear and are causing problems.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Worth getting an expert opinion. I think hips and knees are simpler things but there are people on here who have had spinal surgery and I hope they see your thread and answer. Of course, even if the guy thinks surgery would be a good option you don't have to go ahead. He might want to try physio first anyway. Good luck with it, Airwave.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    In my experience referrals happen when a certain level of damage has been reached: until that point there is nothing to pique the curiosity of a surgeon. The spine is in a league of its own when it comes to surgical fettling and tinkering, other joints are far easier to access and manhandle without the risk of causing further and different damage . . . .

Let us know when the appointment is and then how you get on, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben