Desperate for a nights kip

Options
Sarahb181279
Sarahb181279 Member Posts: 18
edited 16. Mar 2018, 10:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am new on here and I was looking for advice with sleeping and the lack of it [emoji17] as I said in my intro to group I am in process of diagnosis but it’s been since August and my sleep has suffered greatly. I also have restless leg which doesn’t help the situation but the pain in my legs and back is the main reason for lack of shut eye. Are there any tips or specific meds anyone has to help with this ...??[emoji933][emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sarah welcome to the forum,pain is very tiring in its self and dealing with it is equally tiring,you will find people just like you who will be willing to chat and give advice as well as encourage and help you
    Our most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I dimly recall my last good night's sleep, it was some years ago. There are meds such as amytryptaline (sp?) which can be given but that is dependent upon one's health circumstances. This is best discussed with the rheumatologist when you see them rather than jumping the gun with the GP. Lack of quality sleep is a problem we all face, I sleep but only at a shallow level. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear you are not sleeping and you also suffer with RLS. Amitriptyline is sometimes prescribed as dreamdaisy mentions but unfortunately very few RLS sufferers can tolerate that drug as it makes their RLS worse. It is listed as a medication to avoid on the RLS-UK website.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I can not or must not sleep heavy.
    I am on quite a lot of morphine and cortisone injections close to 4 years now.
    I gave up all alcohol because a pint or pint and Half would make me sleep very heavy and i woke at 4 in so much pain even the hotel staff cam to the room wanting to call an ambulance we went home and the hotel did not charge us for the room nice of them

I really hope you get sorted
    James
  • Sarahb181279
    Options
    JamesFoote wrote:
    I can not or must not sleep heavy.
    I am on quite a lot of morphine and cortisone injections close to 4 years now.
    I gave up all alcohol because a pint or pint and Half would make me sleep very heavy and i woke at 4 in so much pain even the hotel staff cam to the room wanting to call an ambulance we went home and the hotel did not charge us for the room nice of them

I really hope you get sorted
    James
    I am on 20 mg day of slow release morphine but it’s not doing the job and my sleep is even worse over last few days my rls is bad and my knees are agony I can’t see gp till next Wednesday and still no rheumatology appointment I feel like I Am cracking up x

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sarah
    Sorry no great tips for you :? I was on morphine many years ago
    for pain but then gradually if there was more pain or a replacement etc they put the dose up until my body screamed NO MORE
    Ended up in hospital for 6 weeks [don't remember most of that]
    Apparently they took me off the morph slowly. I'm back home now but still with lots of pain [nothing to replace the morphine] Don't have a GP apt until 3 weeks time. I cannot sleep because of the pain. I dread to think what my posts are like :?
    Sorry I cant help but hope you do find some relief

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The trouble with any kind of pain relief is that it does not remove the pain. I know that advertisements would have us believe otherwise but the truth is any product does little more than dull the sharper edges: the stronger the relief the more the dulling until we are taken away from the pain rather than vice-versa, leaving us unable to function as sentient beings.

Twenty-one years in I am so used to pain now I don't think about it (one of the odd benefits of having so many affected joints) or necessarily notice it. I thought of you last night as I regularly woke every ninety minutes or so, it's not fun is it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sarahb181279
    Options
    I had another terrible night and today has been horrendous I struggled with all housework cause you have to and no rest with kids. Got gp next Wednesday pointless but I can only try xx

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    As everyone says sleep is a hard days night! I find that every few days I get so exhausted I just crash out, hot wheat bags on me as I go to sleep, a small whisky once a week, exercise, a dark room, they all add to the effort. Tramadol knocks me out but I try hard not to take it for that reason.

If I can't sleep I get up and make a cuppa, read until I'm tired or its time to get going. I like the window open all year round, we all have our ways!
  • Sarahb181279
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I do try reading my book but never get up because my youngest is in bed with me he is 8 but he has learning difficulties so is a lot younger in his ways so if I get up will end up waking him in a catch 22 xx

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    The idea is to dissasociate the sleeplessness and bed, you might try sitting beside your bed or a rado and earphones once little'un is away? I do have a small led torch on a flexible stalk to read my Kindle by, the clip fits on the edge of it.

Keep smiling.
  • Buka
    Buka Member Posts: 43
    Options
    A kindle Paperwhite has been my best investment. They are backlit and you can tone the light right down in the middle of the night and it doesn't glare. So useful when you cant sleep but dont want to get up. My OH is no longer disturbed when I'm awake he doesn't even notice me turning it on and he's a really light sleeper. I dont think your little one would notice. I also tend to get back off to sleep more easily because I haven't got out of bed and woken myself up to the same extent.