I feel like I should ...

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 21. Mar 2018, 14:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
... put a red cross on my front door with the words "unclean" or "plague here" underneath it. :roll:

Why on earth do colleagues insist on going into work when they have viral illnesses such as flu? Oh yes, you've guessed haven't you? I got a dose of this virus and it's nasty. I took to my bed late Saturday afternoon, graduated to the sofa yesterday and didn't try to get anywhere until today. I've fed my cat and kept drinking (please note the order there of importance - says it all, doesn't it!).

I managed to do half a day at work today before my energy and "oomph" ran out and I got myself back home. I'd only been at my desk for 10 minutes this morning when at least 6 colleagues told me (from a distance) that I "looked rough"! Thankfully, I've just half a day to work tomorrow and then next week I'm on leave anyway so can rest up. My Line Manager knows I only report sick if I really can't get in. I went in today as I was going loopy with boredom here and I was again safe to drive. Working within a 5 minute drive to work has it's benefits at times.

So I can now cough like I'm a '100 **** a day smoker' and bark like a dog! Neither are attributes or skills I really want to lay claim to, I have to say. But, my nose is no longer running like a tap although it does resemble Rudolph's.

I usually avoid these bugs but I've been told this is a viralent one and half the team have had it; the remainder look like they're coming down with it.

I trust that you are all managing to avoid the lurgy as much as you can.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear Grace!

Not good is it this winter bug that's been 'going round' :?

I have never understood why people bring germs into work/schools etc either :roll:

Absolutely the cat must be fed and watered you are right she/he can't feed her/himself. I would have done the same.

Look after yourself and keep resting. This one hangs around for a good while ((()))

t2507

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There are a million and one ways you could have contracted this, your colleagues may not be the ones to blame and hopefully you haven't passed it on. You have my sympathies, I know how horrid it is: are you keeping an eye on your temperature? Warmth, fluids and paracetamol are the way to go and be prepared for it being at least two weeks before you fully recover. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Grace
    I suppose they need the money, but not nice on the people they infect..I have been asking people that are poorly to keep away form visiting but usually its our youngest GD that passes things on.. :o hope you recover very soon..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Wot no anti flu jab? Tsk tsk 😨. Just a suggestion for next year.

Mind you its a good excuse for whisky in yer hot honey and lemon?
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I had a flu jab last autumn, but of course there are so many strains going around that it only protects against the vaccinated version.

I tell everyone to stay well away from me when there are bugs in the office but as half the team have had it, and the other half are now coming down with it, I don't think I stood much chance of avoiding this one.

I got into work this morning but was very glad when I got home at lunchtime. I intend to do precisely nothing for the next few days. Thankfully I'm on annual leave next week so I can get over this properly before I have to go back to work.

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, I hope you are resting today and feeling at least a little better. DD
  • GraceB
    Options
    Hi, thanks for thinking of me - I appreciate it.

I'm no worse but no better. Think this just has to run it's course. I've been told this virus can last 2 weeks and it's been known to keep re-appearing for 6 weeks with some people! :roll: Didn't really want to hear that, but never mind. It is what it is. It'll go at some point I'm sure.

I'm staying indoors today and am on the sofa listening to my local BBC Radio Kent. My focus remains on drinking plenty, resting and feeding my cat (and not in that order!).

GraceB
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Just popped by to see if you are ok and have supplies in before the Beast from the East makes his/her reappearance :roll:

leaving you some

p020.gif

hope you are

g050.gif

and of course the cat comes first :wink:

:animal_busy:
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm still plodding away at this dratted bug.

I was so chesty yesterday morning when I woke up (and during the previous night) that I booked a GP appointment to rule out a chest infection. I managed to get to the surgery and, after a good listen, my GP said there wasn't any bacterial chest infection there and it was still a viral chest infection. So no antibiotics needed which I was pleased about. I wanted this checking as, with it coming up to the weekend, I didn't fancy trying to find a Doctor over the weekend. GP said I'd not feel well for a "good few days yet".

Today I'm still coughing my head off and wheezing, although my nose has stopped running. I've not got any energy whatsoever so I spent the morning in bed and the afternoon on the sofa. I'll be back on the sofa soon.

I'm so bored though that I'm fairly climbing the walls! I've told all family, friends, neighbours etc., to stay well away so I don't give this to anyone else. My friend, bless her, sent me some flowers which were delivered today. So very thoughtful of her!

My place looks like an utter pigsty as I've not had the energy to attempt any cleaning. Kitchen bin has been emptied and I've remained focussed on food for the cat, drinks and light (easily prepared) snacks for me, but that's been it.

As for the Beast from the East II - well we did have some snow here today, but just enough to give the lawn a slight coating like you'd put icing sugar on a sponge. So nothing to speak of - thankfully.

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how are things going? If it's what we had then I suspect you will be feeling it for some time yet but it will pass. I hope you had a very restful weekend and can keep that up over the next few days. DD
  • GraceB
    Options
    DD, thank you for thinking of me so kindly.

I'm a little better thank you. Still coughing my head off and, at times, barking like a dog but I'm feeling a bit more like myself. I get tired extremely quickly, and I'm very thankful I'm on annual leave from my job this week as I think I'd struggle to work still.

I felt well enough yesterday to let my new partner come and see me. I'd told him to stay away as I didn't want to give him my virus. He was only here a couple of hours, but it was great to see him. Mind you, I was exhausted after he left and he was the one putting the kettle on!

Thanks again.

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is amazing how deep this infection burrows into us - and how unwilling it is to let us go. :roll: Keep doing all the right things, it's a shame that annual leave is having to be used in this way but sometimes* the cookie crumbles especially badly. :( DD

PS * for 'sometimes' read 'every time'. :lol:
  • GraceB
    Options
    Oh it's still very much with me DD! I'm now regularly barking like a dog again after coughing fits.

My new partner came to spend some time with me yesterday evening (I managed to cook a meal - with a huge effort!) and afterwards we were relaxing on the sofa watching the Polar Bear Programme which I'd recorded and I went into a massive coughing fit. He ended up thumping me on the back and sitting me upright quickly as I was struggling to catch my breath. Whether it was the enthusiastic back-thumping or being shoved upright so quick :shock: I'm not sure, but I stopped coughing and barking. He was astounded at how much I was barking - I had told him. :roll: (Don't think he believed me somehow - he does now!).

I'm trying to do a bit more every day but still get very tired easily, which I'm not surprised at.

GraceB

P.S. The Polar Bear Programme was wonderful! I'll be recording the 'Big Cats about the House' programme tomorrow night which is based on a big cat sanctuary here in Kent. G.