Techie help, please

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 24. Mar 2018, 11:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am looking to replace my current Samsung 7" tablet which is becoming increasingly arthritic and eccentric. (One of us is enough.) But with what? Same again? Or are there things on the market now more suited to my needs?

I use it mainly for surfing the net and writing emails when I can't access my 'proper' computer. I play the occasional Mahjong or other games. I occasionally use iit for skyping. That's about it.

The only reason I'm considering anything other than a straight replacement is because I wonder about reading books on it. I don't because the small screen doesn't make it easy. Lightweight is essential for my hands. I do have a first generation(?) Kindle which I never use. But even normal thickness books are becoming tricky now to hold open. I might have to re-assess.

Any suggestions please? Remember net and email are essentials.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sticky,

Personally I'd try to find a lightweight 10" screen tablet. Have you considered going into J**n L***s? They have quite a selection and also offer the 2 year warranty on all electrical items (well they do in my local store). My 76-year old neighbour went into our JL and had a tutorial when she got her Apple i-pad from them. (Naturally she paid for the privilege, but it gave her confidence to use it).

I'd be interested to know what you eventually choose. Happy hunting!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    And I promise I'll let you know though we mighr both have a wait.

I like JL. I got my 'proper computer from them but even when at home I'm an hour away from my nearest one. Right now I'm at my son's in LA for another3 weeks.

A very kind friend has offered me her identical (except that it works) tablet. I think I'll download a free book or two on mine and see how I get on. If OK I might stick with the friend's. If not, I shall be paying JL a visit once back home. Thanks for reminding me how good they are.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    I'm using the same as you with lollipop OS etc, I have got tennis elbow by holding it one handed for the last couple of years, don't laugh. I like the Android but it does have shortcomings but then like you I have a main computer. I can do everything on my Motorola smartphone but find holding it hard work and it is small, its all rounded and slippery, I do the drop test at least twice a day. Haha, I also have a Kindle I don't use much!

My oh uses a mini iPad and is happy with it, I'd probably err towards one next. If you find an answer let us know!

I told you all it was spring!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have the Samsung 10 inch ...but have a stand and a stylus with it to save me holding it ...
    Love
    Barbara