'Thank you'

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 27. Mar 2018, 09:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm 'home alone' right now while my three generations of golfers are out hitting balls into bunkers. So, with time on my hands, I had a look at the Helpline forum and was amazed at how many threads end with the Helpline team's words of assistance ie no word of thanks from the poster.

Is this a modern thing? An internet thing? A British thing?

How long does it take for even the most arthritic fingers to type 'Thank you'?

It seems to me that, if our lives are too busy for gratitude, then our lives are too busy and we have a bigger problem than arthritis.

Or am I just a grumpy old woman?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes! We're all grumpy, that doesn't mean we're not right though! If you count up all those that introduce themselves and recount all their problems and then disappear, its not a new trend.

Dunno where they come from or where they go! Perhaps the forum foesn't offer the fix they want, perhaps it brings along a truth that this is forever and they can't face it, I really don't know.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello Sticky
    you can bold the door open for people they don't say thank you or if I see somebody coming when I'm on my scooter I wait for them to go past not a word sue says thank you would be nice.
    Joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    My late mum used to say manners cost nothing..so right...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It seems widespread, doesn't it? Possibly internet-induced,.

Yesterday, our son was driving us to a baseball game. He stopped at the T-junction at the end of his road and ushered 3 pedestrians across. As we drove on, our grandson said, in a shocked whisper, "Daddy, those people didn't even say thank you." I hope he continues to be shocked by such things and never takes them as normal.

(My Dad, who always wore a hat or a cap, invariably doffed it to any car driver who stopped for him even on a crossing.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We live in ungracious times, people expect to be given what they want because their needs are paramount; the rest of the world is there to service that need; the thought that they should give something in return remains just that. We see it on here all the time, people ask for help, it's given and one can only assume that they read the replies as we never hear from them again until they start their next thread. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben