Trapeziumectomy 3 weeks ago

veritee
veritee Member Posts: 4
edited 22. Apr 2018, 13:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
I am 65, live in the UK with a number of conditions and had a Trapeziumectomy 3 weeks ago.

If anyone has gone through this I have some questions.

How long before you got enough function to drive, and it would not damage it and was allowed to drive?

I was told I cannot, not for at least another 8 weeks, its been three. But that maybe because I have another condition in the other hand, Kienböck’s disease which means I rely on this one they have just done this op on entirely to drive ( or do anything really) If someone has no problems on the other hand I guess they could drive? But I cannot.

How much function did you get back?
Did it stop or reduce the pain?

One of my problems is that as my left ankle is fused, my right not good, have kienbocks in my left wrist arthritic knees and osteoporosis. So cannot risk a fall and rely on this hand to hold my stick which I need to safely walk slopes, steps uneven ground etc

So how long until you had the grip to hold a stick etc?
I have more but that is enough for now.
Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello veritee and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

It sounds as though you are desperate to get back driving after your trapeziectomy. I can see you have extra issues having keinbocks (Avascular necrosis in your wrist if I have that right?) as well as osteoporosis, arthritis in your knees together with the fused ankle.

I can quite understand why you would need walking aids to safely manoeuvre and want to be back behind the wheel ASAP.

This is our fact-sheet on the subject which you can download it is very comprehensive:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1636-trapeziectomy

This is quite a nice thread where a few people are discussing their experiences of the operation:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41608

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can so do ask away!

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi veritee. I'm sorry things are going disappointingly slowly for you. I've not had a trapeziectomy but I've had other operations and I know recovery can't be rushed however desperate we are.

I wish I had a solution for you but I'm afraid I don't. I think patience is required and I'm not much good at that either.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lizbam
    Lizbam Member Posts: 13
    Hi Veritee I too have had a trapeziectomy on 26 March 2018. How are you doing with exercise v pain? Do you have good movement in your thumb I would be interested to know. I am still not driving so getting lifts to and from work. I sometimes wonder if the operation is worth it. X
    Liz