Meeting a dragon

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 1. Apr 2018, 14:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hopefully I've managed to attach the picture!
It's been a month since this was taken but in February (the weekend before the snow), I went to a business event in Birmingham as a winner of a small business competition organised by Theo Paphitis. It runs on twitter each Sunday, you send a tweet plus a link to your website and on the Monday he chooses 6 winners for the week. It was a great day, if tiring, and very well organised. I was sensible and used my little electric scooter. What really amazed me, and made me feel very proud was when he said that only 0.68% of people who enter are selected as winners.
Theo himself was great, very down to earth and it was clear how much this means to him.
As it was my first time I got my photo with him and was presented with my winners certificate. I can add that he gives a good hug as he had one arm firmly round my waist.
I even bought myself a snazzy new folding crutch.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wow! Many congratulations on the award (and on attaching the picture!). I used to be a small business person, I still occasionally miss it but not enough to start up again!

Ummmmm, dare I say that you don't look as I pictured you? There, I've said it! I like the stick, quite why aids have to be dull I do not know. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Hope seeing what I look like wasn't too much of a shock!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Slosh you look lovey, I love your jacket and the snazzy crutch..what a thrill to be given the award from Theo..many congratulations...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you, the crutch is fun, company called funkrutch or something like that and the jacket is a bit of designer vintage. It was a great day and a real boost.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Morning lovely lady, very brave of you to post this about your business. I have been down the same road starting and running a small business only to find myself working seven days a week to run what was supposed to be a two days a week concern. Too much in the end and I would do things differently now if I were to start again and rely much more on web sites rather than going out and meeting groups.

May good fortune shine on you.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you. I started my business (I design and make origami jewellery) as a side-line to my real job and just entered the SBS competition on a whim and then forgot about it. Now I've had to take early retirement it helps to bump up my income!
    I only spend 2-3 hours on average a day on it as that's all I can manage and I know there are limits to how big it can grow. That being said I have made some great friends, both in the real world and on-line through it and learning more about selling/marketing etc keeps my brain stimulated as well as developing my computer and social media skills. I now even get to teach my 26 year old daughter about Twitter and Instagram and wowed her with my IT skills the other day which is VERY good for the ego :lol:

It's also really boosted my self-confidence and self-belief which had sunk to a low.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Well done, Slosh! It's good to hear your business is going to even greater success and such famous acknowledgement must help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you Sticky.
    Julian of Norwich