Hello Bre'r Fox

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Apr 2018, 03:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Thirty minutes ago we were sitting watching 'Mum' on catch-up when a fox sauntered past the sitting room window - he followed the exact path of Mrs Miggins, a grey cat that visits our garden in the early hours to relieve herself. Our garden is completely enclosed for a human but there are ways in and out for nimble and sleek four-footed beasts. I was considering blocking three of them with barbed wire because I am sick and tired of La Miggins and other felines using our garden as a lavatory but on the other hand would the fox finish them off if he found them? If so I don't want to keep him away . . . .

I don't know how old he / she was but it was richly-furred, bushy of tail, bright of eye and supremely confident. It disappeared behind the garage to emerge at the front of the house where he sauntered down the drive without a backward glance. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Cats and foxes will co-exist. My son has one of each as regular visitors in his garden; the fox causes more problems as its poops are scattered liberally over the lawn and elsewhere which isn't ideal when you have small children and veg beds. The cat doesn't seem to contribute much if anything in that direction, and as a large fluffy soppy creature is welcomed by both my GD and son - pleasures of cat company without the responsibility of ownership! My DIL is less enthusiastic as she worries about it getting into the house.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    In our previous house a beautiful vixen regularly brought her two cubs through the garden. Then a neighbour built a big fence instead of the hedge and that was the end of it. I confess I was sneakily pleased when the first winds of winter brought the fence down. The hedge had withstood over 30 years of weather.

Fox poo is horribly pongy though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Luckily, Daffy, I don't have small children or veg beds but we were the lucky recipients of regular fox vomiting in one of the flowerbeds, we concluded that someone, somewhere, was poisoning the beast and we 'reaped' the splashy benefits: now that did stink! Our garden is a smelly one thanks to defecating felines, a couple of cat owners in our neighbourhood recently got all self-righteous about dog owners who do not collect their pets' leavings - rank hypocrisy methinks.

I guess, Sticky, you knew yours was a vixen as the cubs came along too, I have no idea about our visitor but I'm guessing dog fox, he had the air of having all the time in the world to pursue his interests . . . . :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Its all about human intervention isn't it, too much scrap food for the foxes to find and support more offspring and too many small fluffy kittens bred and brought by pet lovers to complete their households.