Happy Easter one and All!

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Apr 2018, 19:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
I hope that whatever you are doing it's enjoyable, fun and will leave you with some lovely memories. DD

ostern(49).gif
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you DD
    I hope you have a lovely time has well even if it is raining.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Same to you DD..I do love Easter time..everything is coming to life... :D x
    Love
    Barbara
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Happy Easter to all our forum members and readers
    ostern(137).gif

Brynmor & the rest of the mod team :D
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Happy Easter DD, have a lovely week end XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thank you and the same to you too, DD, and to everyone else, especially the Mods and webmanager. I hope you'll all have a relaxing time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Happy Easter everyone. Relaxing day today then a family day tomorrow
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Whilst enjoying the Bank Holiday mood and a time to come together, seeing the family with time to enjoy each others company I wonder if we should be wishing each other 'enjoy your holiday break' rather than a Happy Easter?

We know what happened at easter and the joyous return but are we to be wished well with a 'happy' statement? Is it fitting? Even the non-religious seem to want to use the phrase?

Food for thought!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    "Happy Easter" at least maintains a link, however tenuous, with the sacred origins of the secular holiday, and I suspect that for many using a happy holiday type alternative would smack too much of political correctness.
    Some branch of happy clappies was out in force in the market place of my town on Good Friday handing out small chocolate eggs and, if they could, a religious tract on the story of the cross. I took issue as, even though I have long since ceased to be a church goer Good Friday to me is very much not about having fun and chocolate, but they were teflon coated to repel challengers with a smile. The church group taking a cross through town with periodic prayer stops(including in the middle of the Friday market) seemed more in keeping.
    Something else to ponder - the date of Easter is fixed according to Jewish custom(the date of Passover) so if moves by the christian church to agree a fixed date Easter succeed how does that fit with the increasing sensitivity around anti-semitism?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think - though I'm by no means sure - that, despite the clear Jewish passover connection, the date is connected not to that but to some equinox thing. I tend to feel a fixed date would be simpler but would also assist in fleecing families of money during the Easter holidays.

I don't see why on earth we should not wish people a happy Easter. It's surely a very happy period. Good Friday is not officially part of Easter: it's part of the Christian Holy Week or Passiontide.

Over here (USA) we are wished a Happy Easter and a Happy Passover. They have chocolate bunnies not chocolate eggs. But they are big on egg hunts. (Presumably the eggs are laid by the bunnies :? ) It's a year or two since I saw any chocolate crosses though. I think good taste (dare I say it?) must have triumphed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright