Dental work and dmards

Options
Macbee
Macbee Member Posts: 12
edited 17. Apr 2018, 04:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
My dentist needs to remove one of my wisdom teeth in May. He knows I take DMARDS, he never mentioned my meds being a problem, and I forgot to ask him specifically about it.
I'll check with rheumatology nurse before then but wondered whether I should stop DMARDS for a time before and after, and/ or whether precautionary antibiotics are the norm for extractions in people with RA?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dentistry seems to be the greyest of areas re DMARDS and antibios. All seems to depend on dentist and rheumatologist.

I've never had to either stop the meth or take antibios. I've had extractions but not a wisdom tooth. Even my orthopaedic surgeon said just to stop the meth for a week before and after my knee revision. However my bowel surgeon (it was twisted) kept me off it for a very achey 2 months.

However, I know at least one former member who was prescribed antibios after every hygienist visit.

Best be guided by your rheumatology team. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I recently had an extraction and have another three on the horizon. I stopped my meth and humira on the advice of my hospital but whether I will again I don't know. The dentist didn't advise anti-biotics despite my developing dry socket: I thought arthritis was painful but that was in a league of its own.

Consult with your rheumatology department, think it over and make your own decision. Some say stop, others say carry on, we have to decide what is right for us. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Macbee
    Macbee Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks, it's helpful to know what other folks experience of this is. It does seem there's conflicting advice depending on differing opinions of professionals, which is why I ask.
    I've never had an extraction while on DMARDS. Had a root treatment not so long ago however, and DMARDS never crossed my mind- so i took them as normal, no antibiotics needed and no catastrophe ensued, so if I were to guess, I'd guess I'd be ok!
    I seem to be much less prone to colds and flu and such like since I started DMARDS which always seems odd to me, but hey, I'm grateful for it.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi Macbee, how's things? I am going in for an extraction this morning and have 'prepared' by doing only my meth last Saturday. If all goes well then I shall do the humira at the end of this week, if it doesn't then I won't! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben