Newbie and Naproxen

Options
Suzysu
Suzysu Member Posts: 12
edited 10. Apr 2018, 13:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Glad to have found this forum. I have suffered from mild hip pain for a long time, but it has gradually got worse. I have had xrays and have been told its osteo arthritis. I have started to get very sharp sudden pain even walking around the house and if I walk any distance it is so painful (buttock, hip, front thigh and shin). It does ease if I sit down, but aches. Ibuprofen and Paracetamol dont touch it at all. I also suffer from depression and this is really getting me down and making me not want to go out. Having been to my doctors recently he prescribed me with Naproxen, which helped, but really upset my stomach, I have taken stomach medication for years and even though the doctor added in Omeprazole it didnt help so have had to stop the Naproxen. Has anyone else had to stop taking Naproxen but had something else that worked and not irritated the stomach...thanks x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There are alternatives to Naproxen but you need to discuss this with your GP. My husband finds Nap effective for his gout but I found it rubbish for my arthritis (I have a creaky foot in both camps, I began with an auto-immune and that led to OA). It didn't affect my stomach, just gave me terrific oral thrush. :roll:

I was diagnosed with OA back in 2011 (having begun the other in 1997) and plunged into depression; my GP was more than happy to give me anti-depressants. I have taken a small daily dose since then because if I am stronger mentally I can better deal with what confronts me on a daily basis: having around forty affected joints is a nuisance. :wink:

I think it would be helpful for you to make a double appointment with your GP to discuss anti-inflammatories and the effect the OA is having on your life. If allowed arthritis can be an isolating and demoralising condition, it's very misunderstood by those who don't have it (and, even worse, buy those who like to think they do). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Suzysu
    Options
    Oh dear you have been through the mill, so sorry. Thanks so much for the advice, will go back to the doctor x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Take brief notes about this with you, what aggravates matters, what eases them, whether your sleep is being affected, tiredness levels etc. so that your GP can have the best picture of you and how you are being affected. Arthritis not only affects us but those around us too, ongoing pain can result in us being grumpy, short-tempered and it affects concentration: mine is shot to bits at the moment because I am not doing too well on the PsA front. I far prefer the OA because it is more honest in what it does and how it does it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Suzysu
    Options
    Good idea...thanks Dreamdaisy t69044 x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    There are other anti-inflamms besides naproxen. We can only suck 'em and see if they work but your GP could advise. I don't believe in taking anything that doesn't appear to work but sometimes, when we stop is when we find out that actually they did!

Stomachs are dodgy things and many of us can't take any anti-inflamms at all. Your GP is the best person to advise what's best for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Suzysu and welcome to the forum
    You do need to go back to your GP, I stopped Naproxen because of kidney problems..I was refereed to a pain clinic and they put me on pain patches..they don't effect the stomach but are addictive..its rotten when you cant get on top of the pain but hopefully someone will help..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I had to stop taking Naproxin for OA as it gave me severe panic attacks! This is a side effect not listed anywhere, but I get it with all NSAIDs to a greater or lesser degree, and I have a hard time explaining to doctors that the warning that is now on my records isn't due to stomach problems, as they always assume it is. Hey ho. Anyway, I was given codeine after I stopped the Naproxin, which worked to a certain extent. But after I had a bilateral TKR and didn't need any more pain relief, I had a hard time coming off it, since all opiates are addictive, whatever the doctors imply or tell you. You could probably get it, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. Your choice. Sorry to be so negative.