pain relief

Options
rainbows70
rainbows70 Member Posts: 18
edited 14. Sep 2018, 19:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

What pain relief works best for you and how do you conquer low mood?

Please respond!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    30/500 cocodamol removes enough of an edge to allow me to get on with things. A low daily dose of an anti-depressant plus distraction techniques helps to improve my mood, sunshine is an instant tonic. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Suzysu
    Suzysu Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Interested in this too x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/managing-pain

We are all different. We have different types of arthritis in different places and experience pain differently. We also react differently to meds.

I take as little pain relief as possible. I prefer distraction whenever possible but do use the lowest dose of co-codamol when necessary. Those with OA alone might find an anti-inflamatory helpful. They can usually be combined with so-called painkillers which are usually opioid based. Your GP is the best person to advise what's most suitable for you.

Low mood? I think I've been blessed with some good, anti-depressive genes. My worst time was when the kids were young, before my TKRs. I found arthritis very isolating. All my contemporaries had gone back to work but, with RA virtually everywhere and OA joining in, I was unemployable. So I did voluntary work once a week and got as much exercise as possible. Not difficult with two young boys. I wrote poetry for my own satisfaction but got some published. It kept me quiet and still, at least. And, of course, I watched lots of cricket :D Arthritis has to have its compensations.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I agree with SW distraction is really good, anything you enjoy doing to take your mind off the pain..early day I did take antidepressants..and they help get me though some bad months..I honestly think we learn to live with most of the pain...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, we obeyed your instruction :wink: so do you have any thoughts about our thoughts? If so please share, feedback is always welcome as it helps us with further replies to other people.

I hope things are feeling at least a little better for you, it's a gloomy day here so I have cheered myself by lighting thirty five tea lights in various clear, cut-glass containers that I have amassed over the years, their warm twinkling is the perfect antidote to a grey day. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Low moods are as much a part of life as high moods and we can't have them all the time however as others are pointing out we can interupt them by distraction techniques or cognitive skills.

Try it! There will be plenty of information available through this site.
  • rainbows70
    Options
    m0150
    Airwave! wrote:
    Low moods are as much a part of life as high moods and we can't have them all the time however as others are pointing out we can interupt them by distraction techniques or cognitive skills.

Try it! There will be plenty of information available through this site.

Thankyou for responding!
  • rainbows70
    Options
    t4591
    barbara12 wrote:
    I agree with SW distraction is really good, anything you enjoy doing to take your mind off the pain..early day I did take antidepressants..and they help get me though some bad months..I honestly think we learn to live with most of the pain...
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Like some others here I use co-codamol 30/500 as needed, and have naproxen with stomach protectors to use during flares. I sometimes use voltarol gel on isolated joints-my wrist is stupidly painful just now so I'm using voltarol and wearing a wrist splint to rest the joint.
    As for lifting a low mood, I've recently joined a community choir which has given me a real boost, good company and lots of fun- and we raise funds for charity as a positive spin off- tonight we're performing at a ball in aid of Macmillam nurses and I'm really looking forward to it. Any positive activities that make you feel good are worth investigating.

Deb x
  • rainbows70
    Options
    :animal_busy:
    dibdab wrote:
    Like some others here I use co-codamol 30/500 as needed, and have naproxen with stomach protectors to use during flares. I sometimes use voltarol gel on isolated joints-my wrist is stupidly painful just now so I'm using voltarol and wearing a wrist splint to rest the joint.
    As for lifting a low mood, I've recently joined a community choir which has given me a real boost, good company and lots of fun- and we raise funds for charity as a positive spin off- tonight we're performing at a ball in aid of Macmillam nurses and I'm really looking forward to it. Any positive activities that make you feel good are worth investigating.

Deb x

Thankyou for responding!
  • turtle
    turtle Member Posts: 30
    Options
    rainbows70 wrote:
    :animal_busy:
    dibdab wrote:

I take oxycodone, which helps a bit but does not relieve the pain much. I try to calm myself down and say "it is just pain." That relieves the anxiety about the pain. Depression - yes. I've been on antidepressants for years.

I distract myself with my cats, making things with my hands, watching Netflix and reading.

Talking or being someone works the best for me.

Deb x

Thankyou for responding!