Osteopathy?

Options
Suzysu
Suzysu Member Posts: 12
edited 18. May 2018, 16:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have any of you tried osteopathy for your osteo arthritis...if so, did you find it helped x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never used it. I don't think many on here have. Arthritis Care does mention it here, though, if you scroll down. https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/treatments-aids-and-equipment/complimentary-therapies
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I haven't and definitely wouldn't because my OA is more advanced than yours. My Pa swore by his but that was to put a slipped disc back into place, a very different situation to an erosive condition such as arthritis. I used to have a regular sports massage which was beneficial - painful but useful. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rosebay
    Rosebay Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Suzysu wrote:
    Have any of you tried osteopathy for your osteo arthritis...if so, did you find it helped x

Osteopathy can work wonders for OA, I've used it for years for hips and spine. I would cry if I couldn't see my Osteopath. He frees up gently all the stiff areas and also helps to stretch muscles. He doesn't normally 'crack' anything. I see him once every three months, and I always move much easier after treatment. Physio was apalling, just given an exercise sheet and left to get on with it.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Rosebay wrote:
    Physio was apalling, just given an exercise sheet and left to get on with it.

Rosebay, this is quite usual for physio. It's mostly about showing us what to do. The rest is up to us.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Hi, I have used an osteopath extensively for 35-40 years but now find that my condition is too advanced and it just causes more pain.

I have also had some minor physio and sports massage which is nice, I was going once a month and it does help keep things from getting worse but now it just causes more pain, even after I told the lady to take it easy on me.

Anyrate, depending on your condition as to how much you'll get out of it.