Not doing so good.

Options
Weepth2k10
Weepth2k10 Member Posts: 27
edited 18. Apr 2018, 12:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening folks. How is everyone? Not been on here for a while.
Not doing quite so well myself. Started Benepali in December'17. Things seemed to be improving. More energy less discomfort, felt as though i could be bothered again, that was until start of February. Was feeling quite ill. Turned out i had the Flu. White blood cells were quite low. Was told to stop taking sulf and benepali took 2-3 week to recover and restart meds. Over those weeks my knee started swelling again, ankles were getting sore again. Since then my hips/lower back, jaw, elbows, shoulder, wrist, knuckles,thumbs have joined in. My thighs ache and my knees and elbows click and crack. The right side seems worse then left. By the end of the day iam wrecked. I feel unhappy. Iam only 33 with a great wife. 3 young perfect energetic kids and cant show them the attention i should.
Has anyone else gone through this, having to stop all meds.... then restarting them and not having same effect? Will it take time for them to kick in again? Is this normal to have so many diffirent aches and pains ?
Got rheumy phiysio on 17th of this month and rheumy Dr 9th of May. They have been brilliant, very understanding. Ive not been in contact with them since just after having flu. Physio wanted to scan my knee and ankle back then, but didnt as i had flu and didnt want to be putting anything in me whilst i was ill, what ever she meant by that.
I have already posted on here about about putting a claim in for Pip. Where do i start other than phoning for a form... do i have to get anything from my dr or rheumy Dr? Any other advice would be great. I work and dont want to give up just slow down. These extra fund would help
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's tough. I'm really sorry to hear that.

I honestly don't know about benepali. I do know that any DMARDS can take time to kick in again after a break and the flu might have aggravated your arthritis.

You will feel that you're not being a good Dad to your kids but, trust me on this, they will understand it's not by choice that you can't do the usual things with them. Find ways in which you can enjoy stuff together despite the pain and stiffness. I had to when my boys were young and it never harmed our relationship. And their own sons now think they're wonderful!

I know little about PIP except that Citizems Advice are good at helping. And I think it's advisable to get all the documents you can from both consultant and GP. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Weepth2k10
    So sorry to hear you are struggling like this,no wonder you are whacked at the end of the day, if you get on the DVLA site there is a number to ring for the pip forms..but firstly I would get copy's of any letter from consultants and your GP..you can usually ring your hospital and they will help with the letters, it cost around 10 pounds..sorry my pound sign doesn't work..I do hope you get some relief very soon and good luck with the PIP..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been there and done that over the years - I assume you had the flu jab but even so that is not guarantee that you won't catch it: I had it at the same time as my husband, and our having had the jab certainly took the edge off things. The fact you flared so quickly is proof that the meds were working but it can take time to get things back under control. I was off mine for around two months and am now in a similar boat to yourself but luckily without the extra pressures of a young family. Sometimes they work again, sometimes they don't, time will tell.

I can't help on the PIP, I am still receiving DLA. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Weepth2k10
    Weepth2k10 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Dum dum here did'nt get the flu jab. I get my bloods done monthly on each occasion of going the practice were waiting on supplies. I ended up with flu the week before i had made an appointment just for the flu jab.
    As for the PIP thing i dont like asking for help. It took me years to grow the balls to ask Drs for help. Just a man thing.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Don't forget to get one this year - you are entitled to a free one as you are on immuno-suppressant meds, as I said it won't stop you catching colds or flu but it will ameliorate matters.

I know what you mean about the PIP thing and not asking, it took me years to apply for DLA but I am so pleased I did; the extra finance helped me to get the things I needed to help such as regular sports massages, paying for a cleaner and altering household kit as things deteriorated. As for not going to the doctors, well, what can I say? You blokes are notorious for that. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how are things going? DD