RA & heart disease

Options
jennand
jennand Member Posts: 131
edited 10. Apr 2018, 00:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
My latest bloods for RA included a cholesterol result of 6.1. That, along with age and RA raised my risk of heart disease considerably. I told my GP that I prefer not to take statins if it can be helped and at present am working on lowering my cholesterol with diet and exercise. Of course, the exercise is sometimes limited by the RA. Even if I can reduce my cholesterol this way, the RA will still raise my risk. Should we be taking statins as a matter of course, like diabetics? I’m very wary as I don’t want to risk any side effects and also, I just don’t fancy taking any more medication. Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's true we're at greater risk of heart problems as R A can attack internal organs.

I'm lucky in that any cholesterol tests I've had have been OK but I'm also lucky in that I love fish of any kind, especially salmon and tuna, don't eat much cheese or meat or junk. Mr SW (no RA) eats virtually the opposite and is on statins.

I'd take them if I had to but I prefer the diet route while I can..
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I know there is some controversy over the use of statins whereas following a sensible, Mediterranean-style diet is of proven benefit. I rarely have butter (and if I do it has to be unsalted), I eat a little cheese every day, we grill rather than fry, we never add salt to food, we use olive oil rather than lard when roasting, I avoid cola and other drinks of that ilk, and rarely eat fruit: all this has been done for years and as a result my cholesterol is where it should be. I know that these apparent dietary restrictions may not be to everyone's taste (ha-ha) but my habits stem from a childhood where dairy products caused severe asthma and tasty things like fruit caused appalling eczema. One soon learns to 'do without' and your tastebuds change.

RA may raise the likelihood of heart trouble but it won't definitely cause it. The meds I take for the PsA have supposedly increased my chances of cancer but surely being alive does that just as effectively. If you don't want the tablets (and I wouldn't either) then take the diet route but be prepared for it to take a little while before the results begin to show. Good luck and I hope it works! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I forgot to say that we use skimmed milk and have done for years. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options
    All good advice. I have followed a good diet for quite a while ( Slimming World) but I have now tightened it up. Hubby too as his cholesterol is also raised. Even more important for him as he has heart failure and had open heart surgery 3 yrs ago. I’m in the process of starting Enbrel so I don’t want the complication of adding a statin into the mix. I’m having a mini flare up at present, not a full blown knock me off my feet one, just an achy, can’t be bothered exercising one.( hence my writing this at 5am) It usually passes in a couple of days so I will dust my walking boots off and hopefully get out at the weekend