The Commonwealth Games

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 11. Apr 2018, 11:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
Now, I must admit that this kind of thing does not usually float my boat but what I like about these is the Commonwealth para-competitors are competing at the same time. It may be due to the fact that the number of participants is fewer than the Olympics but it makes a refreshing change to see those who are truly challenged being regarded as equals rather than an afterthought. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've been thinking the same thing. Would be great if the Olympics could manage it too.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Most of these events are run by volunteers and getting a band of already busy volunteers to give up more time would limit all events. I did 2012 for two weeks and was out of the house for up to 12 hours, a long day with absolutely no concessions because I am disabled, a hard work episode. If I wanted to be there I had to put up with the job.

I'm sure there are many keen helpers out there but there comes a point where volunteering has to take second place.