Arthritis in head

Options
Lupin789
Lupin789 Member Posts: 6
edited 17. Apr 2018, 04:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All
I'm an 81 year old woman.
Does anyone else suffer from pins and needles and pain in the head and neck?
Also any remedies?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello

Welcome to the forum. I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis 'hanger ons' or look after family with the same.

I am sure you will find the members of the forum helpful, offer support, advice, empathy, light relief and friendship.

Arthritis care and Arthritis Research produce lots of booklets and information sheets and I am sure you will find your anwers there if the forum members havent got answerss for you.

You may like to look:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/symptoms

I hope to see you on the forum again.
    Best wishes

ChrisK
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Lupin and a warm welcome from me
    I have arthritis in my neck and certainly gets pins and needles down my arms..I also get headaches something I never used to suffer from, it can also cause dizzy spells..I use a warm compress on my neck ie a wheat cushion..and then exercise it..but never take your head all the way round. just gentle side to side and up and down..hope this helps..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello lupin 789 and welcome from me too.

I have neck pain but not head pain and no pins and needles. I think the latter is often associated with nerve damage.

Has your GP actually diagnosed this as arthritis? If not, a good first step would be to get it checked out. Just because we have arthritis elsewhere it doesn't mean that every pain results from it. Also, it might be that different medication would help.,
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Lupin, I am sorry to read of your difficulties. I think a visit to your GP is in order, he is best placed to advise. Pins and needles smacks to me of trapped nerves, I had them in my hands due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Please let us know how you get on. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lupin789
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Lupin and a warm welcome from me
    I have arthritis in my neck and certainly gets pins and needles down my arms..I also get headaches something I never used to suffer from, it can also cause dizzy spells..I use a warm compress on my neck ie a wheat cushion..and then exercise it..but never take your head all the way round. just gentle side to side and up and down..hope this helps..x

I am sorry for delay in replying to your e mail and thank you for your advice.I am afraid my problem has been going on for a long time now not only in my head and neck but in other parts of my body,ihave scoliosis in my spine and in general aches and pains .Ihave had vjsited two pain clinics ,one prescribed drugs and the other I had electrical treatment and epidural none of which helped.I know I am one of many thousands with these problems ,but I am feeling rather low.Thank you once again xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Lupin, it's lovely to hear from you again. I am not surprised you are feeling low, many of us on here are similarly struggling and completely understand how hard dealing with another development of the general dross can be.

Have you seen your GP about how you are feeling? We can offer encouragement and support but nothing more specific for all the right reasons. You are right, you are far from alone with dealing with these troubles but that cannot, does not and will not lessen their impact on you and those around you. DD
  • Lupin789
    Options
    Hello lupin 789 and welcome from me too.

I have neck pain but not head pain and no pins and needles. I think the latter is often associated with nerve damage.

Has your GP actually diagnosed this as arthritis? If not, a good first step would be to get it checked out. Just because we have arthritis elsewhere it doesn't mean that every pain results from it. Also, it might be that different medication would help.,
    Thank you for your reply,what has worried me over the last few months is that a quarter of the back of my skull had become numb and to date I have not found anyone else with this symptom ,my Dr has suggested trapped nerv e but no treatment except exercise which I have found painful
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sorry this has proved such a longstanding thing for you and clearly nothing has helped much.

I would personally persevere with the exercises as, despite being painful, they do tend to help preserve things as they are rather than allowing more deterioration to take place.

Pain of any kind does grind us down though. I hope you'll find our little community does help as we're all in the same boat and do understand.
    Steven Wright
  • Lupin789
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hello

Welcome to the forum. I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis 'hanger ons' or look after family with the same.

I am sure you will find the members of the forum helpful, offer support, advice, empathy, light relief and friendship.

Arthritis care and Arthritis Research produce lots of booklets and information sheets and I am sure you will find your anwers there if the forum members havent got answerss for you.

You may like to look:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/symptoms

I hope to see you on the forum again.
    Best wishes

ChrisK
    Hello I have been looking on the Forum but I am sure I must be doing something wrong as the e-mail is suggesting I will no longer be able to log on to topic,I cannot see any heading that will help me onthis occasion,although I have found comfort in the replies ,thank you
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello again Lupin, you are not doing anything wrong, the set-out is not very clear. I never click on the last message bottom right where it says reply with quote, I click under the last message box to the left, where it says reply to topic, a 'clean page' then pops up, you can type your message and then click on submit. I hope this helps. DD
  • Lupin789
    Options
    Thank you DD,I must say I have been anxious about this.I am going to start my gentle exercise today and see how this helps.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am not at all surprised that you have been feeling anxious, that is an entirely normal response to a trying situation. It's better and more beneficial not to overdo the exercises, over my arthritic years I have learned to stop when I felt confident I could do more. Please let us know how you get on - good luck! DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Lupin789 wrote:
    Hello I have been looking on the Forum but I am sure I must be doing something wrong as the e-mail is suggesting I will no longer be able to log on to topic,

Lupin, I wonder if you are referring to what we call the 'sticky topics' at the top of the Living With Arthritis forum. I think there are three of them all headed 'Topics with.....' These are now locked ie no-one may contribute further but they remain there as they have proved so useful to so many.

As for the exercises, I think that's an excellent plan. Just go gently and carefully. Little and often is far better than one gung ho session. Good luck with them and let's know how it goes.
    Steven Wright