What to expect

grid
grid Member Posts: 40
edited 16. Apr 2018, 11:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I have my Rheumy app tomorrow after waiting 10 months.

i have had a lot of blood test done via my GP in the last month. Last X-rays were done in sept 17.

i have been private last sept and he said i had reactive arthritis due to a 2 month dysentry episode but i am not convinced i have this as apparently reactive is assymentrical where mine is symetrical, and usually with reactive arthritis the RH blood count is usually normal where mine was high.

i am concerned that the NHS rhuemy is going to say the same thing!

what do i expect to happen in tomorrows meeting? would he be able to diagnose me in first meeting or will more test be required?
My pain has doubled in the last month of so and i have it in more placed including the hip which is sore. so will he give me something for this? at the moment i have just been given ibruprofen.

i seem to have all the symptoms of RA from what i have read, and i am scared if i wait any longer my joints are going to have permanent damage. if further test required how long does it take to see the Rhuemy again?

thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear! How long is a piece of string? It all depends on the hospital. They have different sized waiting lists and different methods of doing things.

You are seeing a second rheumatologist so I suggest you tell him / her about your fears. They will them pay particular attention to the areas you're concerned about though, to be honest, though diagnoses may change, meds rarely do whatever brand of inflammatory arthritis we may have. Please let's know how it goes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I hope your appointment went better than my first rheumatology: they denied I was their pigeon and shunted me back to orthopaedics. A year later, having been referred back to rheumatology, they reluctantly agreed I was their pigeon. Twerps.

If you have been reading other posts about this and the replies then I am sure you will know that diagnosis on the spot is dependent on presenting the perfect symptoms in the correct places. When one isn't able to do that it can take a deal longer: nine years in my case. :roll: Anyhoo, I hope yours was OK and you have a clearer idea of what may be going on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello again, I hope things are as OK as they can be. DD
  • grid
    Hi Ladies and Gents

thanks for the replies.

well this is what happend

i was seen by a rhuemy and new student, went through a lot of questions as usual.

i told them that my Arthritis has spread to other areas since i seen Private Rheumy I.E. hips and feet.

i asked questions such as
    • We reading on Arthritisresearch.org it mentions that reactive arthritis is assymetric where my arthritis seems to be symmetrical? Rhuemy said mine is probably coincidental
    • Rheumatoid factor is usually negative in reactive arthritis where mine is positive? told by the Rheumatiod factor is low but positive (43) I believe and that my inflamation was showing as normal
    • Should I be on DMards as there was an article mentioning that if pains in joints last over 6 months its recommended to start DMards as they protect joints from further damage? No as i have reactive arthritis there no need as there will be no damaed caused by this. they have put me on 2 xParacetemol in morning to be suffice

Taken more bloods and X-ray of my hip as this has now overtaken the pain in hands. No X-Rays on hands even though the last ones were over 8 months ago, i would have thought they would have done hands to compere if any damage?

So her diagnosis is - No swelling and normal CCP (i think that was the one she was referring to), so this is more likely to be Reactive arthritis. She gave me a steriod injection so should see it calm down. and appointment made now for 6-8 months before they see me again.

so i am in the same situation as i was 6-7 months ago.

thanks

Dave
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks for the update, Dave.

I don't think you are in quite the same situation as before as now you know that two rheumatologists are in agreement about what's wrong.

It's unlikely they'd x-ray you again so quickly as x-rays are not exactly good for us so best kept to a minimum.

It's really good news that you have ReA as this does usually go away in time. I hope this is the case for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • grid
    Hi Sticky

Yes i agree that atleast 2 are in agreement. its just the wait for things to change/happen to identify what is wrong with you thats a pain in the ****$. never had a illness/desease like this before so all new for me.

Fingers crossed that both Rhuemies are right.

thanks for reply :)
  • dreamdaisy
    With two rheumatologists agreeing on reactive arthritis, which is the best option if one is going to have any form of this dross, you do know where you are. You might not like where you are and how it is feeling but there is a plus side: you don't need the mucky drugs and in time it will clear: wanna swap places with me? I can offer chance of it going, needing the mucky drugs and the only way is down. :lol: I am no medic (and neither are you) but over my many years of reading about and living with arthritis I am sure the dysentery is the root of this. Auto-immune arthritis has no rules about how, where and why it affects us, it just does. Coming at this from a healthy background makes this so much harder for you, I am sorry.

I hope that things begin to improve soon, keep yourself distracted as best you can from how things are feeling because arthritis begs and craves attention. It also feeds on stress so denying it that can make a difference. DD
  • grid
    Hi Dream

no thanks im happy to have this type rather than many of yours.

i am stressing a little but i need to take my mind off it and carry on as usual.

i do sympathise with all sufferers with Arthritis, its been an eye opener.

i will keep you up to date if anything changes.

hope there is a cure around the corner for everyone
  • dreamdaisy
    Of course you are stressed about it, with a background of good health you have had no preparation for any of this. I don't have a background of health so cannot grasp the impact of this on you, it must be dreadful.

You have a good few months of this under your belt now and I would advise much as I would for someone with RA or another kind: pace yourself, rest, eat a good diet, keep hydrated and if pain relief is needed take it: a little and often is better than letting things build and then trying to deal with it. Keep in touch and let us know how things go, we'll still be here. DD