Amitriptyline and alternatives???

gem340
gem340 Member Posts: 4
edited 12. Apr 2018, 03:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I was recently prescribed 10 mg of Amitriptyline for pain, and been taking it for 6 days.
So far the only side effect that I have been getting is hunger, not a "I fancy a bite to eat" but a very strong "sick hunger" Has anyone else had the same issue with it??

I've recently lost well over 3 stone, and back to a healthy weight. I'm very concerned that with this making me want to eat is going to increase my weight.

Is there an alternative to Amitriptyline, that doesn't effect weight?

What were other peoples experience

Thanks everyone

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    be careful with over the counter drugs like St John Wort which interacts with methotrexate , always check with a medical professional first

as for amitriptyline not everyone gets on with it & , would not change it myself if you do , I have taken rhodiola for years to help with depression , but not everyone gets on with that
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I saw your other post and know you have OA, I too was offered amytryp some time ago to help me sleep but refused it because I take meds for my auto-immune arthritis.

It is true that these meds suit some better than others, losing all that weight is a matter for congratulations - WELL DONE! - and no wonder you do not want to jeopardise that achievement. I think this is something to talk over with your GP, we can empathise but not advise because we are not docs.

I apologise for the brief reply but I am not using my usual keyboard. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben