LEFT KNEE GIVING WAY NOW

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 9. May 2018, 05:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Most of you know that over the years I've had 2 THR's and one TKR.

Recently my other knee has started to really give me pain and give way quite frequently. The consultant did say when he saw me about my right knee that I would eventually need the other knee replaced
:cry: I think that time has come .........I am going to ring his secretary on Monday and see what can be done. I know I should be referred by my GP but I've had 2 THR's and 1 TKR so I'm hoping that I can miss out the GP and get an appointment soon.
I can but try.
I just have to stand up and it twists and that's me in agony for a few hours. :?

Sorry ........moan over

Love
Hileena

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Leaving a lot of (((()))) and t115006. I hope the secretary can fast track you an appointment, knees giving way is horrid, it jars your whole body. Without my crutches I would be a frequent visitor to the floor. :roll:
    I know you have certainly been through the mill and back with one op after another.

Take lots of care XXX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • hileena111
    Thanks Aidan,

Had a dreadful night last night. Awake with pain for the majority of it so I feel like death warmed up this morning!!!

Thank goodness for crutches LOL although that doesn't take the pain away at least I'm not falling.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to hear from you again!! I am sorry that things are not too bonny, your better knee has been taking all the strain of all the other dodgy joints for some time so no wonder it's failing. Having had replacements is no guarantee that this will be done even though to us laymen it should be. We have to concentrate so hard on how we move, don't we? If we don't then disaster strikes. :roll: I hope you hear some positive news, let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    Thanks for your reply. Oh I know a replacement is no guarantee.
    I still get pain in my other knee which was replaced. :(
    Just hoping they can suggest something to ease it a bit.
    I'll try and get an appointment with him because the more I keep using it [possibly]the more damage I will cause. I trust this orthopaedic surgeon.........2 THRs and 1 TKR :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Arthritis is painful, end of. It always has been and always will be. That is challenging in itself, being challenged again and again is wearying, to say the least. :roll: I have learned that the only person who can do something about how I manage it is me, not the docs or the meds. The pain will end eventually and whenever that day comes it will be welcome - I rather like the irony that I won't be around to enjoy the novelty of being pain-free. :lol: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry to hear your other knee is going but, provided you are still seeing your orthopaedic surgeon regularly, I see no reason why you can't self refer and expedite your next appointment. If you don't have regular check-ups, though, you'l probably have to go via the GP.

As for the knee giving way, I'm always very careful how I stand up and, indeed, where and how I place my feet, partly due to the ancient TKR and partly to the rubbishy feet. Indoors, I suggest you remove all mats and rugs and, outdoors, maybe brief use of a knee support. I think you'll probably do more harm by over-resting than by using it and keeping the muscles strong. To that end do keep up with daily quads.

For how long has you TKR been hurting? Mine only began when nearing / passing their natural lifespan. Maybe something else to ask about.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi,
    I'm not seeing my Orthopaedic surgeon. Occasionally I have an appointment. eg: Once I see him he might say make another appointment [in 6 months LOL]
    I actually have an appointment with the spinal consultant [cant thik of his proper title lol] next week. I was referred to him by ortho. so if he is no help he might be able to direct me. You never know I might get an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon. I'll try him first.
    I wont over rest it.....Use it or lose it :wink: ..........I've got crutches. Oh yes my TKR is 2 years old. I've been having a pain
    for a few weeks now but its not bad just niggling. Until a few days ago when it got worse. Hadnt thought about a brace...Thanks.
    As for daily quads?????? Never done them in my life :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    If you haven't been doing your quad exercises then no wonder your replacement knee is uncomfortable and your other knee is giving way. These are the exercises I do daily (for both knees) and have done since my first open synovectomy in 2002 - I wasn't successful with my operated left knee until eighteen months after the op, such was the surgical damage to the muscles.

The quad muscles are fundamental to supporting the knee joint, the stronger they are the better the support. They won't hold back the flowing tide of OA, and they may not remove the joint pain, but doing them can reduce it. A basic one is to sit on the bed with your legs out in front, a rolled towel under the knees. Doing one leg at a time, point your toes to the ceiling, contract your front thigh muscles and your lower leg should lift itself from the bed until your leg is straight. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your TKR Hileena. Unfortunately it can happen, but as has previously been said, it's vital to keep the quad muscles exercised on a regular basis. I make sure if I've had a restful day that I try to do some of my post-op physio exercises. My right partial knee replacement was 2009 - I still exercise those quads; my left TKR was January 2017 and I try to keep that knee moving as best as I can, again by doing the post-op exercises.

If it were me I'd see the GP and have a chat. S/he may well send you to physio to help support the knee whilst you wait to see someone. And, I suspect, they may also order x-rays to see exactly what the position is regarding your knee. It could also be an ideal opportunity to have a look at your pain meds as it sounds as if you are in a lot of pain.

I hope it settles soon.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    hileena111 wrote:
    Oh yes my TKR is 2 years old. I've been having a pain for a few weeks now but its not bad just niggling. Until a few days ago when it got worse. Hadnt thought about a brace...Thanks.
    As for daily quads?????? Never done them in my life :lol:

I actually meant for you to use the knee support on the knee that gives way to prevent it doing that. I'd assume the other one, with the TKR, is better used 'properly' ie without a restricting support. Exercise will, I think, benefit it more than an external support as they'll give it the internal one of muscles.

I know you have done quads previously but maybe only immediately after operations. I remember you telling us how you'd done for your greater trochanter by over-enthusiastic quadding :wink: Whenever my knees (real or metal) are painful I up the exercises. It really helps. Walking, especially when we are unable to walk naturally due to pain, doesn't strengthen ALL the vital muscles. The exercises will. Here are the ones ARUK give for knee pain https://tinyurl.com/y8qj9bl5

Obviously you may have to adapt some. I have to lie on the bed as I can't get down to the floor (except by accident :lol: ), the last time I could stand from any chair without using my hands is lost way back in the mists of time and I can only do step-ups with a firm, clingable bar in frónt of me. But I make a stab at all the others including the one DD mentioned.

The 2yr old TKR will probably be very grateful if you do them and, even if it boils down to another TKR in the other knee, I had to do these exercises in preparation for my ops as well as after as they speed up recovery.

Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Hileena, I haven't been around for a while as I went on holiday for a week then got a flu bug from the holiday!! Anyway what I wanted to add is that my Consultant said once you had one TKR it usually transpires you will need the other one doing soon after. I'm going to have to have my right knee replaced either end of this year or early next year as after having it X-rayed it's shown that the knee is in as bad shape as the left one! I would be cheeky and call your consultants secretary and see if you can get an appointment with him!! I do it with both my Knee consultant and Rheumatologist's secretary but I do have good relationships with both!!