problems moving leg

Options
Lotsofpain
Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
edited 4. May 2018, 07:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
more and more I find I have to put my hand under my thigh to move and especially raise my leg. Any ideas what it might be and what I might do about it

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I assume that you are not doing any kind of specific exercises to strengthen your leg muscles; it is very easy to lose muscle strength, just a few days in bed can noticeably reduce their all-round fitness. I was given my first set of quad strengthening exercises after my first synovectomy in 2002, sixteen years I still do them on a daily basis. Yes, they hurt to do but as everything does that's no bother. No, they haven't stopped the progress of my OA but I remain mobile - in fact my mobility is improving thanks to my being more pro-active regarding my muscle strength and stamina. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm sure DD's right. Why not ask your GP to check it out and maybe offer a physio appointment? If you look at Hileena's latest thread, I found a link to ARUK's quad exercises for her. These are the ones you should probably be doing but do check it out first with your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lotsofpain
    Options
    yes I am seeing a physio in a week or so, in the mean time I would like to provide suppport to the area where my thigh meets my hip and the bottom of my bladder by a bandage or something similar. anyone got any ideas how I do this
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm not sure that would be possible. It sounds like a very difficult area to support and, frankly, I think it could be dangerous to apply pressure round the bladder area.

Hip pain can be nasty but maybe you should just stick it out until the physio appointment. Do you use walking aids? A stick, or two, might help.
    Steven Wright
  • Lotsofpain
    Options
    I was thinking of something like this

https://tinyurl.com/y74ds8u9
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I've had both hips replaced but I've never seen anything like that before. If you're thinking of buying one please get medical advice first.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think you already have the solution within your grasp: use your muscles. It may take some time to build them up, and it will hurt, but arthritis does and all the gadgets, gizmos and tape in the world won't stop that. Learning to live with the pain is far from easy but it's better than trying to live without it because that is not an option. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben