When feet are inaccessible

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 3. May 2018, 12:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
How do you keep them moisturised? I have dry skin which, more than once, has resulted in cellulitis.

Until a few weeks ago I used bath oil in the bath but now the bath has gone and I have a walk-in shower which keeps me independent (as long as Mr SW remembers to lower the shower head after taking it up to the ceiling :roll: ). So far so good but how do I keep my inaccessible feet and lower legs moisturised?

I can't reach them when out of the shower either and, although I could make a stab at pouring and spreading cream on the upper bits using my long-handled shoe horn (arthritis does make us inventive) my toes are all squashed together and, in some cases, over each other. How do I moisturise them?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I wonder if soaking them in a bowl of warm water with baby oil would help? If , of course, you could persuade Mr SW to fill/carry/empty said bowl :? There appear to be such things as moisturising socks too, haven't a clue how effective they are but a quick internet search revealed many and varied products!! The other thing that popped into my often addled brain was maybe using moisturised wipes gripped in one of those long handled grabber things-though quite how easy that would be is questionable.

I'm sure lots of folks will have much more feasible ideas than me. Good luck.

Deb xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Or one of those longhandled back scrubber 'sponge on a stick things' smaller ones should do the trick.

Or a long strip of cloth (old flanalette sheet?) dipped into some baby oil and held under your foot and pulled back and forth?

Is there any spray on baby oil on the market?

Oooooer I could think of many uses for that stuff!

😃😄😅😇
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    A conundrum indeed. :(

Personally I avoid using oils on my feet as they make things far too slippery; life is risky enough, yes?

Moisturising socks sound like a good idea but to my way of thinking are an un-necessary purchase. When my feet are in extremis come bed time I dollop my trotters in body butter then don a pair of men's hiking socks, they have thicker or padded soles, are not tight around the tops as men generally have bigger calves and are therefore more comfy. Luckily the days of my evening siren seduction skills are long forgotten.

When I was seeing a chiropodist I recall her telling me not to moisturise between the toes as this could lead to athlete's foot and other nasties so I don't. If I recall correctly your arms are foreshortened, yes? I have a plan but its possible success is dependent on whether you can don socks . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ooh this is all very exciting :o:D (And that tells you what a tragically sad life I lead :lol: ) I really thought there'd be no answers but you brilliantly inventive people have come up with several.

Deb – A bowl of 'oily' water. I have done this, occasionally, in our previous, carpeted house. I carried the empty bowl in, along with a towel, a clean pair of socks, my sock aid and the thing to help remove shoes and socks, made several journeys to the bowl with a 2 litre jug of warm water plus bath oil and a towel, soaked until water went cold then kept feet on towel until dried and persuaded Mr SW to take the bowl of water away. It was a faff but it worked if you ignore the odd spillage here and there. This house is completely laminated. 'Nuff said? However, if I sat on the loo (Dignity? Wassat?) with the bowl at my feet, it could be emptied without being trailed through the house. A definite possible.

Moisturising socks. Been there. Done that. They are sock-aid proof. Couldn't get 'em on. Couldn't get 'em off. Couldn't walk in 'em.

Moisturised wipes in a grabber. I'm not sure. Possibly. I did once have a long-handled device for cleaning between toes but the manufacturer clearly didn't have my toes in mind. (Not many people do :wink: ) Might be worth a try.

Airwave – Oh you wicked man :shock: I feel a touch of the vapours coming on :lol:

Sponge on a stick. I once had one. By the second wash it was a sponge OFF the stick. I have often used a lambswool pad on a stick. Very good for washing but inclined to get squidgy just with soap let alone oil.

Oiled strip of cloth. I don't see how my current hands could get it between my current toes. I don't see how I could alter either.

Spray oil. I was warming to this idea until DD stated the obvious. Mm, having just got a walk-in shower with non-slip floor and grab rails do I really want to oil it?

DD – Body butter with men's hiking socks. I'm sure your siren days are not over. There must be some kinky bloke out there who would find this irresistible. I dunno. How do I apply the body butter and how is it no less greasy than oil?

Can I don socks? Yes, with the aid of my trusty sock putter-onner and a few choice swear words.

So, you were advised not to moisten between the toes. I admit, pre-shower and post bath (with bath oil) Mr SW used to go between my toes with surgical spirit and cotton wool buds to ensure cleanliness and dry toes. Maybe I should adopt Deb's footbath with oil plan then let him keep doing the same. It means I lose a spot of independence but he doesn't have to touch anything greasy which he dislikes. A definite maybe.

Thank you all. You're a brilliant lot :D
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    Three further thoughts......can you add essential oils to one of those foot spa gadgets on the market......not sure if the oil would gum up the works :oops: . Also if you have a walk in shower do you have a shower stool that could be perched on for soaking feet in the bathroom to avoid trailing water over your laminate flooring? If you had a spare towel under the bowl of warm water it would stop any oily water landing on the bathroom floor perhaps. B##ts do a long handled soft sponge with two extra small sponge heads that clip in, maybe the small sponge head could be used to apply a thicker moisturizer to your feet?
    Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well your joints may be seized up, Deb, but the old brain cells are working wonderfully :D

The foot bath thing is out as they're designed for feet that point straight outwards from the body not ones locked in the ten minutes to two or even five minutes to three position :roll: I can only get one foot in at a time and that with some difficulty. But the other suggestions I shall definitely look into.

Thank you very much.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    You are most welcome, it's good to exercise the old grey matter from time to time. :wink: xx