Bathrooms, Bath lifts, Walk in showers, Non-slip floors

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 5. May 2018, 13:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have asked you lovely people about all these things in the last 12 months or so and I vaguely remember at least one person asked me to let them know what my solution was and how it worked out.

If that was you, please remind me what you were asking about :roll: I now have a walk-in shower with non-slip floor and it's starting (with continued effort and brainstorming) to work out perfectly. But I'm sure there was someone out there who wanted to know about something specific.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Are you starring in a Peter Greenaway film? :wink:

It wasn't me and, after a short rack of what passes for my brains, I cannot remember either who it was. I suspect, however, that this will will be a common question in the future so maybe your final solutions could be posted on the relevant sticky, Sticky. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    There was a discussion about non-slip flooring and how best to clean it, and I think I may have asked for your comments when you'd had a chance to live with same, as I'd been struggling both to clean and keep clean the flooring in my house.
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Can I ask what non slip flooring is?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is flooring designed to reduce the risk of slipping and falling for use in areas such as showers and wet rooms. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Ah, daffy, yes that does ring a bell.

And, for jennand's sake, I'll explain a bit further.

As my local authority were part-funding it, my only choices were the colours of the tiles and flooring, both from a sheet. I had worried a bit about the flooring partly because my only previous experience of it was in a friend's wet room about 10 years ago. It seemed a bit spikey, even with my stout surgical shoes on and I wondered how my feet would cope.

What I was offered was not at all spikey. In fact I did wonder if it would be non-slip at all. It was / is just slightly roughened a bit like low grade sandpaper. I'd remembered daffy's caution over cleaning and wondered whether a light or dark surface would be easiest. I opted for dark. I think it was a very dark navy but it looks black.

And it's wonderful. Not at all spikey on my tender feet but very, very non-slip even for the foot with only two points of contact. Sometimes I have to remember to be sensible and use the grab rails.

As for cleaning - I'm amazed at how little it shows any dirt but I can easily swipe it with my Vileda mop and, frankly, I've only used water on it. I intended to ask about cleaning but, in the event, the whole thing was installed while we were away at our son's so we just returned to a new walk-in shower, all complete.

I'm fairly sure the flooring of the shower bit itself is exactly the same as the rest of the bathroom but in white. (We had no choice over that.) It stays clean as long as we don't walk on it in shoes. Then it does show the dirt and doesn't come clean so easily. I have learned to put a towel down to stand on if necessary. My tall husband can just stretch.

I definitely think black was a good, if somewhat fortuitous, choice. I've also wondered if there are different types of non-slip flooring and we just got lucky in being offered a good one. I still like a bath mat to drip onto before walking to the bedroom to get dressed but I think, with the grab rails, I'd still feel pretty safe without one.

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I definitely think black was a good, if somewhat fortuitous, choice.
    The joys of a soft-water area.....