Perplexed by X-ray results

scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 19. May 2018, 17:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

About a month ago I had an X-ray of my hips to confirm, or otherwise, whether I have OA in my right hip, in particular.

On Friday, I phoned the GP surgery for my results and was told it was "satisfactory".

"Satisfactory"!!!!

What is that supposed to mean????

Was the doctor who reviewed the X-ray result "satisfied" with the referring doctor's diagnosis? Or were they "satisfied" with the radiologist's report? Or were they "satisfied" my hips don't show anything?

I know one thing for sure – I'm NOT "satisfied" with the result I was given. I asked the receptionist what that was supposed to mean and she suggested I'd need to speak to a doctor about that –so I've asked for an appointment – now I just have to wait another fortnight!

I want a proper answer, as this is probably the worst OA pain I've experienced – just in my right hip, the left is fine. Since the pain started in January, when I thought I'd just strained some muscles trying to walk through the snow, but these aches didn't disappear with rest.

I found eight weeks ago, when driving around Iceland, that an hour of driving had me aching – the cruise control, when we discovered how to set it, helped somewhat.

Most of the time I'm probably at around a three or four background level painwise – but there are times when I'm at seven or eight or worse.

To keep fit I do a lot of walking (Arthur's not going to beat me), I'll admit I'm addicted to the activity, but there have been times when I just can't face going out after work as I'm so sore just sitting still is a chore. I've not reached the point of wanting to cry, but at times I don't feel far away.

Prior to my hip getting sore I had cut down on taking Naproxen to just once a day, but now I'm back to taking it the prescribed twice a day most of the time – missing a dose doesn't cause a bad day, but a lousy weather day does!

So, I need a real result and not being told it's "satisfactory"! Which is a nothing result, in my opinion – I want some relief and yes, I know a lot of you are suffering more than I. Even if it's just to confirm the diagnosis and send me to a consultant. Btw I did self-referred myself to physiotherapy about seven weeks ago, thinking I had a sciatica type pain ... lol

So what are your thoughts on what "satisfactory" means in this case?

Scozzie

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I presume you spoke to one of the receptionists at the surgery - they are not qualified to speak about test results despite us feeling that maybe they should be as they are the first point of contact. It's common sense that this is the purlieu of the doctors, so it naturally follows that an appointment will be required to talk it through.

If I was told that results were satisfactory I would take comfort from the fact that nothing horrendous had shown. I also know from experience that if something is amiss doctors don't hesitate to get in touch even if the patient is on holiday. I think that because OA is such a common condition it completely lacks any sense of urgency for those who diagnose and treat it. I am way beyond your stage of OA - when I was I didn't know I had it - but intellectually I can understand how difficult, frustrating and annoying all of this is for you. I have twenty one years under my arthritic belt and have learned that more often than not, what is and how I physically feel, bear no relation to each other but that is complicated by my having a foot in both camps. I hope an OA purist comes along with a reply, they will have better insight. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Now, where to start? I've just had a similar 'satisfactory' message through, very frustrating, doesn't tell you anything and for professional to use it is ridiculous and demeaning.

I know fullwell what hurts and why. Its taken me half a lifetime to get an appointment with the musculoskeĺital team let alone a consultant. I was referred to a rheummy but someone read the letter and pushed me off to the team, only another two months to wait!

So you see, your case is by no means unusual, meanwhile we have our lives put on hold while we wait and wonder at the futility of it all.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Personally, I'd guess that 'satisfactory', in 'med-speak', means it's got OA but nothing else untoward and is not yet bad enough to require a replacement. In which case it's back to physio and pain relief.

But, as DD says, receptionists are, quite rightly, not allowed to interpret any results so, for a fuller picture and explanation, make an appointment with your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mamadeesix
    mamadeesix Member Posts: 83
    Have you ever had bursitis in your hip? I may be wrong, but I don't think that would show in an x-ray. An ultrasound would show the fluid in the bursa.

Do you ever have pain down the side of your leg...like from the hip joint down? Or pain and loss of flexibility, say if you try to sit cross legged?

That might explain the level of pain you are having, even with a "satisfactory" x-ray result.

Is there no way you can get a nurse or dr. to give a call back explaining the results better? No nurses line? So you don't have to wait for an actual appointment?

Super frustrating!
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    At our surgery they have a general enquiries line open at certain hours when you can ring and get results for tests, xrays and the like.

Clearly satisfactory is a meaningless comment. I would ask to speak to a doctor or someone able to explain the x-ray results, all my GP does is read out whatever is written down by the x-ray department. They are generally not in a position to interpret the x-ray.
  • scozzie
    Thanks all

I'm still perplexed, but I have an appointment with a doctor from my GP practice next Friday to discuss the result, and hopefully, move on.

I doubt very much if I've ever had bursitis in my hip, as I've never had pain running down the side of my leg – plus, I assume by it's name bursitis is a tendonitis, which in my experience of other tendonitis areas would radiate heat to the touch and gets worse and worse until properly rested. On top of which my pain does come and go.

Oh well, just six days to go til I speak to my doctor.

Cheers
    Scozzie
  • scozzie
    Hi All

I managed to see one of the GPs at my local practice to get a "proper" explanation of my X-ray results.

The doctor explained that she, herself, wouldn't have used the tick box of "satisfactory" as it usually means, people like me, fronting up to ask for an explanation.

Anyway, the actual result is "normal", as there's nothing to see – I don't have OA of the hip – however, there's no explanation for my pain, which, to me, acts like OA in that it's ok (not too bad) in fine weather, like we've been experiencing over the past week or so, but it's murder in bad weather (regardless of what some university studies might say).

It's not a soft tissue injury, as it doesn't react one way or the other to exercise.

The doc did say it could possibly be an impinged nerve, but suggested seeing a physio might give a better indication – however, it's been seven or eight weeks since I self-referred and I've heard nothing so far.

So it's back to square one – aaarrrggghhh!!!

Take care
    Scozzie