Differences

Options
grid
grid Member Posts: 40
edited 16. May 2018, 06:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All me again :D

Brief about me- anyone who doesnt know me from previous post, i have been diagnosed with Reactive arthritis, and currently had a dose of steriods. Pains in hands and hips.

so yesterday i had a call off my Rhuemy following up on my visit last month. she informed me that my bloods are still showing some rhuematiod factors but nothing to be concerned about.

so my question is really about the information on the HIP xray :)

she has informed me that i have a little bit of OA in hips but nothing to worry about, and due to the pain i am getting she is going to put me into physiotherapy.

1. Will Physiotherapy help with hip
2. She said OA in hip....but how would she know its OA and not ReA thats caused the wear & tear? is it possible?
3. Could it be the ReA making the OA more painful than it really is?

thanks in advance if anyone can answer.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks for the re-cap, grid. That's so helpful to those of us with ageing memories :wink:

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes. Undoubtedly. Even if you don't feel your hip is too bad the exercises will help you to retain your range of movement and strength and so slow down any deterioration.

2. 'OA' and 'wear and tear' are basically synonymous. Damage from RA and OA show up differently on x-rays. I'm not even sure that ReA does cause joint damage but I'm pretty sure your rheumatologist would know the difference if it does.

3. Yes. I think so. Pain is pain is pain. When we have it we hold ourselves differently, hunch up against it and create aches and pains elsewhere. The more we think about pain the more we feel it so, if we have a pain in one area, we are more likely to notice pain in another.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • grid
    Options
    Hi Sticky

thanks for the quick reply, glad i could refresh your memory :)

i believe from what the Rhuemy told me is reactive acts similar to RA, so does do damage like RA. In some cases you will need to go on Meth.

Ok i will take up the physio as i will do anything to get rid/or help the pain. Would a exercise bike help?

question 2 you answer may have given me hope that i do actually have ReA (as i still have slight concerns that its RA). So if shes saying OA who am i to argue with :)

question 3. i agree with you there! i am hoping that once the ReA clears up it will ease of the pain.

i did read in one of the articles regard pain treatment you limit yourself to low doses of cocodamol. i am currently taking paracetimol but dont think it does much. i am not a fan of drugs but i am thinking of stepping up a bit especially at night with the pain in hips, is there a difference between ibruprofen and co-codamol? which would be best and has least Gut damage.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi grid
    Physio will help with the hip pain, they will show you how to exercise it then you can do them at home..has for the how do they know its OA I was told they can see the damage with OA and the inflammation with rheumatoid..hope you get some help soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I can't see the exercise bike doing any harm but, in your shoes, I think I'd want to ask a physio, or at least a doc, before investing in one. If you already have one just try it for very brief periods at first (That's 'arthritis brief' not 'normal brief' :lol: ) and see how it goes. Little and often is better than a marathon :wink:

Co-codamol v ibuprofen? They are not the same. Cocos are so-called 'painkillers' (Oh yeah :roll: ) whereas ibuprofen are anti-inflammatories and ease pain by lowering inflammation. Frankly, because they work in different ways, you could take both if you wanted. Ibuprofen might be more effective but anti-inflamms can cause stomach problems so, if taking them regularly, you should ask your doc for a stomach-protecting med too.

A good night's sleep helps us to cope with the rigours of the day so, even if you only take something extra at night, it might be worth it. Do remember, though, that cocos contain paracetamol with the codeine so no more than 8 in 24 hours of cocos / paracetamol ie maybe 2 x paracetamol three times a day then 2 x co-codamol at night. We learn to juggle :D

By the way, pharmacists are good at advising re such things.
    Steven Wright
  • anna1979
    anna1979 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Grid

I’m the person with the newly diagnosed ReA so it’s interesting reading your post. I am having to rely on a lot of painkillers at the moment but if I can I will just take 1 zapain with 1 paracetamol 4 times a day, as it limits the fuzzy head feeling but still gives me more relief. I also take the full dose of ibuprofen everyday.

It’s really good that they have done some X-rays of your joints although sorry that it’s shown up OA as well. But at least it’s reassuring that they are supporting and helping you and checking for other things as well as the ReA.

My steroid injection has started tailing off now as it’s been nearly 4 weeks so I’m struggling to control my knee pain/swelling again and starting to feel poorly again too. Will be limping to my next appointment at the end of the month and am desperately hoping they will give me something else as we have a family holiday in 3 months time that we have looked forward too for a long time and it’s typical that’s it’s long haul this year as it was meant to be a family treat because my eldest daughter starts her GCSE’s on Monday! At the moment there is no way I could manage it though !

I hope your symptoms continue to improve. Were you tested for the HLA-B27 gene? I had loads of bloods done but assume I’ll get the results at the next appointment.

Take care
    Anna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    OA is the most common form of arthritis so it could well be that you were starting it regardless of the reactive. I am one of the lucky ones with a creaky foot in both camps, the OA was caused by my PsA but the way my joints are affected is very different: OA is caused by the erosion of the cartilage between the joints which enables them to pass smoothly as we move around and it cannot be replaced. With the PsA I had terrific inflammation in and around the enthesis (the connective tissue between the ligaments and bone) and the synovium (the lining of the joint). Occasionally my OA causes swelling when I've overdone things but it soon goes with massage and rest.

I can feel the difference between the two and can usually tell which beast is causing the most trouble when the harder times strike which is no comfort whatsoever. :lol: Mind you, if I couldn't do so after twenty two years then shame on me. I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day, it's enough to blunt the sharper edges so I can get on but ineffective enough so I can feel the warning feedback from stressed joints. I don't need anti-inflams thanks to the meds for the PsA, my inflammatory levels are too small to measure for that one but, as I said, the OA can cause inflammation when I've done too much. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi grid

You’ve had some great advice there.

Like you I never use to take many tablets, I rarely and I mean rarely ever took just pain old paracetamol as I never thought they did anything (except post-op recently, for an unrelated condition, when I was given it in liquid form, and it worked then).

Prior to developing my OA pains seven years ago, a box of 16 8/500 cocos would last me a year or three; the same went with ibuprofen — then suddenly I needed them every day, 6-8 8/500 cocos and all three ibuprofens allowed per day. It did take a few months of my wife nagging me to see the doctor about having them prescribed — which not only saved me a lot of money and visits to the pharmacy, but it meant I no longer needed to put up the coco lecture every time I bought a packet. I have now progressed onto 30/500 cocos and Naproxen, but I try to take the Naproxen every morning as a precaution for any pain that might develop at work, I’m on my feet most of the day and it can be a bit physical. I will take the second one in the evening if I’m having a bad day painwise. I also take a stomach protector.

Good luck
    Scozzie
  • grid
    Options
    anna1979 wrote:
    Hi Grid

I’m the person with the newly diagnosed ReA so it’s interesting reading your post. I am having to rely on a lot of painkillers at the moment but if I can I will just take 1 zapain with 1 paracetamol 4 times a day, as it limits the fuzzy head feeling but still gives me more relief. I also take the full dose of ibuprofen everyday.

It’s really good that they have done some X-rays of your joints although sorry that it’s shown up OA as well. But at least it’s reassuring that they are supporting and helping you and checking for other things as well as the ReA.

My steroid injection has started tailing off now as it’s been nearly 4 weeks so I’m struggling to control my knee pain/swelling again and starting to feel poorly again too. Will be limping to my next appointment at the end of the month and am desperately hoping they will give me something else as we have a family holiday in 3 months time that we have looked forward too for a long time and it’s typical that’s it’s long haul this year as it was meant to be a family treat because my eldest daughter starts her GCSE’s on Monday! At the moment there is no way I could manage it though !

I hope your symptoms continue to improve. Were you tested for the HLA-B27 gene? I had loads of bloods done but assume I’ll get the results at the next appointment.

Take care
    Anna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Anna

I think you had the Steroid injection the same time as me. At the moment my hands, Feet, and Knees are holding up. I did paint the decking this weekend and one of my fingers did lock into place and i could not get it out until i knocked it out, which is a first for me.

so far i have been taking just paracetmol in morning but looks like my hip has taking a nose dive as i could not lift my leg up to push the clutch down, this has not happened before. So i will probably end up going to the doctors soon for an upgrade :)

i am in the same boat, My son doing his GCSE so i was looking to book for Florida in Feb 19 so that he doesnt miss much and its cheaper :) . But at the moment i have been put off booking as i dont know if things will improve or get worst.
    If i was in your shoes, i would go privately a couple of days before going on your long haul and have another steroid injection. i believe you are allowed 4 per year so i would use one of them for the holiday.

i have had HLA-B27 test and it didnt show anything, had loads of bloods test done when seeing the Rhuemy last time and only thing it showed was the Rhuematiod factor was a little high, which i believe never goes down once up.

Well i hope your bloods show something, but i also know that sometimes bloods can be conclusive.

one thing thats different from me and you is that i dont have swelling any where (touch wood).

please keep in touch Anna, it would be good to see how we both compare :)
  • grid
    Options
    Hi All

thank you for all your great advice.

well this morning my hip pain was worst than its ever been, i drove to work and it was a struggle to depress the clutch.

looks like i am going to have to change something along the lines.

who do i go for pain management? is it your GP or Rheumy or either?

i am going to take co-codamol this morning just to see if it helps. not sure what the strength is but knows its 500mg :wink:

looking at DD info about over doing this its possible that i did to much yesterday, painting the decking, lying on my bad hip side probably didn't help either. :? wonder if there is any swelling there? its on the hip so not sure how you can tell if there is swelling there.

lots of drugs info and i am thankful for all contributions. i have heard Nax is good but not sure if i need that kind yet

love Dave :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sure the decking would be a factor. It's a big, long, never-ending, ever-changing learning curve as to what we can / can't do without paying the penalty. Learn and move on :wink: Sometimes the payback is worth it. Just factor it in beforehand.

'Nax'? Do you mean naproxen? That's an anti-inflammatory and might help both types of your arthritis but, if taking it regularly, do ask for a stomach-protecting med to go with it.

Just a thought re the car. Our previous car had those seats which slope upwards a bit at the sides. They can play havoc with hips if you're not centrally seated in the flat bit. Mr SW always has to remove his wallet from his back pocket too.
    Steven Wright
  • grid
    Options
    Hi Sticky

My car is an Audi Sport so has sporty seats, slope upwards and supports on both sides of the seats, so probably not the best seats. dont really want to change the car at the moment :o but if the pain continues then i will have to.

today however my hips isnt as bad a yesterday so rest and helped alot.

definatley a learning curve for me in what not to do and what i can do. what a pain in the .....hip :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol:

If necessary, a cushion might help.
    Steven Wright