Pain Sound Effects.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. May 2018, 09:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have always found my hospital's pain scales (they usually run from 1-100) of little use: my 40 could be someone else's 100, another's 30 could be my 80. Last night was not a good one sleep-wise which triggered this idea.

Between 2 and 4am I was wide awake with what I could only describe as Scalextric pain: it was running from the waist down in a figure-of-eight pattern and, as it chased along, I likened it to the sound of Formula 1 cars. I then thought that other pains could be described as resembling the drone of a bee, the buzz of having a polish at the dentist's, the sharp tang of metal on a filling, the one-off sting of a nettle, the gentle throb of a pulse, the ripple of water, the beam of sun (bright and intense) etc.

Describing the quality of pain is not easy, is it? I know that people see and feel things differently but hearing is often a more constant, shared experience. I will try my theory out the next time I see a medico. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I loathe pain scales. They are utterly meaningless and I'm just grateful I've never been offered more than a 1-10. 1-100 :shock: :shock: :shock: What next? Decimal points? "Today" Doc "I think I'm a 65.49372. Or maybe 65.49373. Ye gods! We'll need a degree in Pure and Applied Maths soon to tell how we feel.

I've never done the Scalextric thing. Maybe I have too much titanium breaking the circuits :wink:

As for a 'Sound Pain' system. Are you sure you're not synaesthetic? I can only do it the other way round ie a loud sound is painful rather than pain is a loud sound.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Grace, I worked out my own personal Pain Scale ages ago.

1 = What pain?
    2 = Hardly a twinge
    3 = Not bad
    4 = Average
    5 = I can handle it
    6 = Not good
    7 = Bad
    8 = S….ing awful
    9 = ---- Off!
    10 = Morphine! Now!

Oddly, whenever I've been in really excruciating pain I've found I'm utterly silent as I need every bit of energy and concentration to just keep breathing.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Like it Sticky!

I could add some descriptions to pain, bone jarring, nerve jangling, electric.

I was talking to the osteopath who reckons he could tell a patients pain level by how soon the patient was willing to pay him money to help!
  • dreamdaisy
    I like your pain scale too, Sticky, it's much more realistic. My hospital also uses a 'wellness' scale that runs from 100 to 1: 100 is feeling very ill whereas 1 is feeling as though arthritis is not an issue. I've never scored above 50 on that one.

Today's pains are varying between hot needles being rammed on a far too frequent basis into my ankles, knees and hips, some zinging up and down my shins and dull aches all over: on the Sticky Pain Scale (SPS) I am oscillating gently between 6 and 7. It's also raining so all the pollen is nicely at nose level, leading to tight lungs. :| DD
  • stickywicket
    'feeling as though arthritis is not an issue' :? :? :? Sorry, you've got me there. What exactly does that mean :?: :roll: :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I guess it means feeling as though it's only just begun so isn't making its presence too keenly felt. :) Or one is pain-free. :? Or it's gone away. :shock: :lol: It's a scale of of no relevance to someone who is twenty-plus years in . . . .

No matter how well I may be feeling within myself the arthritis is an issue and always will be. DD

PS On the SPS I am currently on level 6 but off regardless for a short walk to raise it to 7. I scoff in the face of pain - I scoff cake, chocolates, crisps :wink:
  • stickywicket
    Having had lots of short walks round the kitchen to make a fish pie and having done lots of arm exercises in several lots of washing up, I have now reached level 5 which means I can handle it provided I'm handling it in the garden with a glass of wine :D

Enjoy the walk and well done!
    Steven Wright