Hello!

Options
BettyMac
BettyMac Member Posts: 202
edited 22. Jun 2018, 06:39 in Say Hello Archive
I've just joined the forum and it seems I'm in good company!

I've had RA for about ten years.

Here's a wee question for those also on injected methotrexate.
Do you have any problems getting rid of your sharps box?

The only option in my neck of the woods is to have it collected by the local council and I've been told to leave it on the doorstep - which I am not happy about, for several reasons.
Just wondering what the options are for those of you in other parts of the UK.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bettymac
    Welcome to the forum glad you have found the forum everyone is friendly and understanding and will try and help in any way. It won't be too long before someone answers your question, just to say in my area of Surrey I left my sharps box on the door step over night, I too was a bit apprehensive so I rang the company that collected it and they confirmed that it went to the right place.
    All the best Christine
  • BettyMac
    Options
    Hi Christine
    Is your box collected by the same company which delivers your injectables?
    I get my meds from the local chemist - and the sharps bin is picked up by the council waste service.

I’m starting a biologic in the next few weeks so my options for collection might change.

My concerns are twofold; safety and privacy.
    I was a health professional for more than 20 years - I’d have risked my registration by leaving a sharps bin unattended in a public place!
    My profession is yet another thing RA has taken from me

Still, onwards and upwards - as they say 🙂
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too :D

I take tablet meth but I agree that sounds an odd thing to have to do. It sounds as if you, like me, are worried about it getting into the wrong hands. Curious children might do themselves some damage though, as Mod Christine seems to have to use the same method it can't just be in your area. I think, if it were me, I'd contact whoever collects them. If they weren't interested I'd ask my rheumatologist if they were aware of how it's done and, failing that, my MP. It can only be to save time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • BettyMac
    Options
    Hi stickywicket
    Thanks for the welcome.

I've had an interesting few days investigating this.
    My district councillor made some enquiries on my behalf, which hasn't really got very far.
    And I've spoken to someone at the waste and recycling department, who was intransigent, to say the least.
    Their attitude seems to be - this is how we do it, take it or leave it.
    I drew a blank when I asked to see the risk assesssment they must have had to do.
    I don't think I have the energy to pursue a freedom of information application.

I went down a couple of other avenues too - tried some of the needle exchange places, but they only deal with registered service users - and tried one of the companies that uplifts sharps bins from healthcare premises, who referred me back to the district council.

I even read my way through 189 pages of a government Health Technical Memorandum on The Safe Management of Healthcare Waste. That's an hour of my life I won't get back 🙂
    There were pages and pages about dealing safely with all types of health waste, including a section on sharps bins in domestic residences - but absolutely nothing about how they should be collected, except they should be stored safely.

I understand how constrained local authorities are these days and have decided that the best - and safest - option is to ask them to ring the door bell and hand the sharps bin directly to a bin man. We don't have a set collection time so it will mean staying in all day. If I can stock up on bins, I can perhaps hand over six at a time - which would reduce the number of days I have to wait in for them.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, my meth is delivered by Healthcare at Home, they both supply and take away the sharps. They also deliver my humira and deal with the sharps for that. Acura used to deliver the method only and they also dealt with the sharps. I live in Suffolk. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • BettyMac
    Options
    Hi dreamdaisy

That sounds like a good arrangement.

I'm supposed to be going onto Benepali in a few weeks so perhaps I'll be offered the same sort of deal.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I don't see how you could do more. Actually, I'm surprised that it's your council who are responsible. As DD says, Healthcare at Home seem to do most of the deliveries / pick-ups on here.
    Steven Wright
  • BettyMac
    Options
    Hi
    Just a quick update.

I've recently had Benepali added to my regime and have just spoken to the nice people at Healthcare at Home.
    They're going to supply the Metoject too and will supply and remove sharps bins.
    Everything can be done within a two hour window, once a month - which is very acceptable.

Problem resolved!
    8)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :D:D:D

And thanks for the update.
    Steven Wright