Is bone shaving worth the risk?

Options
dawnyb
dawnyb Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Jun 2018, 07:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have joined this forum as I have increasingly bad osteoarthritis (around shoulder and collarbone, collar bone currently broken) and would really appreciate some help and advice.

I am currently getting hydrcortisone injections guided by ultrasound. This has offered me no relief and I cannot cope with the pain.

I have been told the success rate for bone shaving is only 50/50 or could make things worse. Does anyone have any personal experiences, good or bad to share?

Thank you!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi dawnyb
    Welcome to the forum,sorry you are in a lot of pain,you will find yourself among friends who are also in pain so can understand what you are going through. Just start chatting and people will open up to you quite soon
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in such pain. Arthritis round the shoulder area is very painful and, if it's also broken, that will obviously make things much worse.

Unfortunately steroid jabs don't work for everyone.

I've had knees and hips replaced very successfully but I've never heard of 'bone shaving'. Personally, at 50/50, I don't think I'd want to take the risk. I tend to work on the 'better the devil you know' basis. My neck barely moves these days and I don't have much movement in my shoulders either but, with the lack of movement, has come ease of pain. They are nowhere near as much of a bother.

I won't do the poll as I know so little about it. i presume your orthopaedic surgeon suggested it but, at 50/50, wouldn't be entirely enthusiastic about it. How did you break it and do you have osteoporosis? That would be a big deciding factor, wouldn't it?

We all live with pain on here and sometimes it's harder than others. Have you, in the past (obviously not now) been offered physio?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    The steroid injections don't work for everyone. I've never heard of the bone shaving, is it a scrape of the joint, or resurfacing the face of the joint by another name or new technique?

Doesn't sound like a winning idea?