Knees

Options
JMckie33
JMckie33 Member Posts: 6
edited 6. Jun 2018, 05:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I'm on my first biologic- Enbrel (five weeks in) and its working really well; my CRP is now at 1 and my ESR 41. It got up to 121 at one point! My knees have been continuously swollen with restricted range of motion for over a year (diagnosed last March). They're slightly better now but still limited movement. All my other joints feel back to normal really. Does anyone know if my knees will ever go back to normal and whether I might need physio? Thanks in advance x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    'Normal'? Wassat :lol:

Seriously, I'm really pleased the enbrel is working well for you. It's still early days so, who knows? The knees might respond.

When do you next see your rheumatologist? (S)he would be the one to ask. Physio is always good in my book (Arthritis Care has a book of exercises which you can download) but, if the knees are still very swollen your rheumatologist might want to drain them and / or give them a steroid jab.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I am pleased the enbrel is working for you but whether your knees will improve who knows? If there is significant damage then that cannot be undone. I took enbrel for a while, that preferred to explode my liver rather than tackle the arthritis - humira, however, reduced my inflammation levels to virtually nil within three weeks: eight years on and I am still taking it alongside injected meth,. my PsA is very well controlled but of course it does nothing for my OA. I cannot answer the question about physio because my crystal ball is broken. :wink: I wish you well and I hope things continue to improve. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Maturecheese
    Maturecheese Member Posts: 130
    Options
    My knees were fine, the odd twinge now and then, until Dec when they flared up due to high CRP levels. Two months later I had my knees drained and a steroid jab but alas they are now damaged.
    Since then they are not much cop and the rheumey said I will need an op eventually. So I would say that if they have sustained damage due to inflammation, for example osteoarthritis, then I would think that they aren't going to get much better. I'm prepared to stand corrected.