Metatarsal pain with psoriatic arthritis

JJE239
JJE239 Member Posts: 24
edited 4. Jun 2018, 10:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone describe the pain and stiffness felt with metatarsal pain caused by psoriatic arthritis? I have pain and stiffness in the top of my foot where toes 3,4&5 meet the foot

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I'm not sure why you are requesting an explanation because everyone feels pain differently and I am embarrassed that I cannot recall the meds you are taking. I have PsA-affected toes, OA-affected ankles and the occasional bout of Achilles tendonitis which is related to the PsA.

My PsA is well controlled by meth and humira but I still flare from time to time; when it does my toes swell, are hot to the touch and the top of my foot is tender. I find that ice improves matters albeit temporarily . Pain-wise it feels as though I am pressing a bruise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JJE239
    JJE239 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks dreamdaisy. I’m asking because I’m still awaiting diagnosis for PsA but already have an OA diagnosis in both knees. I’m trying to decipher which of my symptoms might be related to PsA so that I can talk knowledgeably to the Rheumy when I get there. I’ve got extreme stiffness after sitting on the outside of my foot and have a skin burning sensation on the soles and bottom of toes. I have a peculiar pain threshold (probably because I had OA since childhood) so find it very hard to judge how bad pain and stiffness is. Symptoms seem to be snowballing at the moment unfortunately
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Frankly, I wouldn't bother to try to tell the rheumatologist what's PsA and what's OA. Just describe the symptoms and, especially with the help of x-rays, that can do a much better job than us.

There is no hard and fast criteria of how bad pain is. It doesn't even correlate with damage done. Good is what you can put up with and bad is what you can't.

I hope you can get some answers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright