i have Oa Why do I have flare ups so frequently

Mini
Mini Member Posts: 33
edited 11. Jun 2018, 09:48 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Im New here I have osteoarthritis already had left knee replaced now im awaiting a right knee and a hip replacement and test 4 rheumatoid arthritis

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Mini and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Osteoarthritis. I see you have already had one knee replacement and are awaiting the right knee and one hip replacement too. Your Dr seems on the ball doing tests for Rheumatoid Arthritis as well.

‘Flares’ are a very common problem with Arthritis; one often discussed on the forums.

We have a great community here, with lots of experience of arthritis, who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can. I hope the following links will help you.

This information by Arthritis Research UK is about osteoarthritis and is very comprehensive:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis.aspx

Arthritis Care’s booklet on the same can be downloaded here:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/223-living-with-osteoarthritis

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have an anti-inflammatory arthritis (psoriatic, PsA) and OA. My OA does not flare, it merely worsens if I over do things, so that aspect is within my control. If I misjudge things the effects are very localised to specific joints and resets to its normal levels within a few hours of resting. My PsA, however, is a different thing altogether. When that flares it affects my entire body, causing tiredness to the point of nausea and can last from a couple of weeks to months (I am emerging from a flare that began in January).

I hope that your future surgeries go well and that the tests for RA are properly negative, believe you me having both is far from fun. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me, too.

The first thing that comes to mind is how frequently do you have them. However, like DD, I my autoimmune arthritis (RA) caused my OA and, like DD, I don't regard the OA as flaring as it just gets worse if I've overdone things and the 'worseness' is confined to one joint plus any that it impacts on. My RA, however, rarely flares now that I'm on the right medication but, when it does, it doesn't confine itself to one joint (though one might be worse affected than others). It tends to flatten me :lol: completely.

I hope your next replacements go well. I have the full house - knees and hips - and all have been brilliant.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Mini and welcome to the forum
    A few years ago now I asked my consultants why OA travels so fast and also why do I have flare up..and I did and still do flare..even after not doing much I can get pains in quite a few joints..his answer was we don't know enough about OA..I do think that more research needs to be done...
    You must keep moving and do gentle exercises every day, to keep the joints form seizing up and becoming more painful..
    Love
    Barbara