Balance problems

Options
klynn
klynn Member Posts: 27
edited 7. Jun 2018, 14:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi again...lol.
Just a quick question,..again.
Does anyone have problems with balance, when walking or when standing still?
Sorry for being such a nuisance :oops:
klynn

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I do but it's entirely due to the state of my feet plus some ageing replaced joints above them.

If your balance is compromised in some other way, you should ask a doc to check it out.

Sorry about the shortness of all my replies. It's late and I'm rather tired.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Yes because all my joints from the waist down are compromised, it's one reason why I use a crutch or crutches to aid balance, stability and to give support. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • klynn
    Options
    Thanks again guys for answering my q's.
    I have had balance problems for a while, at times for months, sometimes, like later in the evening, when my muscles are tired from walking /heaviness... I find it difficult to describe it when my balance goes...which of course is always worse when it's happening when I'm walking. It's like I cant control direction/coordination and my arms are flailing around trying to keep balance... it's pretty weird... sometimes weakness causes it..like in my muscles..like I said ...not easy to explain. :?
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    It could be an ear infection. The balance organs are in the ears and if these get infected it can cause severe feelings of dizziness and loss of balance.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As my arthritis has worsened I have learned to pay more and more attention to the simple art of walking in a reasonably straight line, no more admiring the scenery or spotting friends across the street. Forget walking on the beach (sandy or pebbly, it makes no difference), eyes fixed firmly down and ahead to check for uneven or broken paving, piles of wet leaves (far more dangerous than ice) and other such things which are not hazards to those with joints that work as they should.

Slosh makes a valid point, have you had this checked at any point in the past? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • klynn
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for your input.
    Ear infection...nope, have my ears checked, no ear problems.

Dizziness... I wouldn't say dizzyness as such... I feel faint alot..when I'm out walking or indoors doing tasks, activities that are a bit more strenuous .. I do get a sense of loss of equilibrium and it does seem onesided..but balance when walking doesn't just feel like that...its the heaviness in the muscles/stiffness and weakness in my legs, especially calfs, knees, cervical spine.

I looked into Ménière disease..where I do seem to fit with that in regards to the proprioception, disequilibrium feeling...which is pretty much most of the time..its the sensations in the other areas, weakness in muscle areas...stiffness heaviness in the legs, that also impact on my sense of balance.
    I also have sporadic instances of virtigo..briefly...tinnitus, buzzing in the ears..which can get quite bad... fluctuations in hearing.

As for paying attention, concentrating on my walking... it's all I do..too much... I need to just to stop from losing my balance and falling. It's quite embarrassing at times.
    Thanks again:)
    klynn
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I think this is one for your GP. It certainly doesn't sound like anything to do with arthritis or the meds in my experience.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright