Party time or how being a nice Mum can be bad for you

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 10. Jun 2018, 17:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last Thursday, being the nice Mum I am I took my daughter to an ESA appointment and then spent a couple of hours at hers before leaving and getting home about 8.30. Sounds fine, perhaps a bit tiring but ok, yes?

If only!

I slept through my alarm and woke at 8.10 rather than 7.30, getting ready isn't something I can rush these days so I did pretty well to be in the car by 9.10. However the plan had been to get to hers by 10.00 and it's about an hours drive. It was downhill from then on, 10 minutes late to her appointment, but she pleaded bad traffic and they told her to come back at 1pm. That gave us about 90 minutes to spare so we decided to get coffee and a sandwich. Of course neither of us knew where to go so after about three quarters of an hour we just grabbed takeaway drinks (no sandwiches), drove back to the centre and had our drinks and a large cookie each. Appointment done, back in the car and back to hers.
I'd brought my Granny tea bits, crusty bread, proper sausage rolls etc so had a late lunch/early tea lovely couple of hours at hers with lots of cuddles and even got down on the floor (!) to do a jigsaw with my granddaughter and sat there leaning on one arm for a while. Left around 7.30 for the drive home.
I hadn't felt like eating much at hers and had gone past feeling hungry so just had a bowl of cereal with my bedtime meds. And so to bed (as Mr Pepys would say).

Until 3.30 when I woke with the most incredible pain around my upper back and sides. Even though I knew it was just wind I googled "heart attack" and kept checking my pulse! Got up, went downstairs put my audio book on and took my omazrapole and dozed on and off for a few hours.

It's the first time my two stomach problems have decided to make their prescence known like that and they decided to have a party and invite everything else to party too. Party they did, big time! And just as they finally started to wear themselves out, oral thrush popped in as the finale!

So, nearly a week later and I'm nearly back to my normal. And all because I'm a nice Mum.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, when things start wrong they usually go 'wronger', I am so sorry and hope that things have properly settled now.

I am prone to sudden plunges in my blood sugar so my car has various sweeties and other sugary stuff stashed here and there: maybe it's worth stocking your motor with foodstuffs so that you have something to hand in case of need. I remember when the cyst I didn't know I had on my right ovary kicked off the pain was so intense I couldn't have googled even if I'd thought of it! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Ouch! Do you take gaviscon as well as omep, Slosh? I take my omep in the morning and a swig of gaviscon at night - and during the night if necessary. It might be worth checking with your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    DD, good suggestions as always, I did have a drink and a large cookie but I think it was the whole combination of things that day, too much driving, the stress of the day and playing with my grandchildren.

SW, Gaviscon brings back memories of morning sickness! It's worth looking into so I'll get up early next Monday (in order to get to the surgery for when they open bookings) and try and book one. It's getting better but it would be good to have back up for when this happens, though hopefully it won't get that bad again.

I'm still not back to my normal but I'm getting there, just reminding myself that there's a reason why I'm retired on medical grounds.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Do you have GORD (Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease)? I do though I have no obvious problems with reflux but was diagnosed after they shoved a camera down. I have what they call silent reflux ie one is blissfully unaware of it but, nonetheless, it carries on damaging your oesophagus. To minimise night problems I ensure my head is on a fairly high pillow and don't eat at all for a couple of hours before bed. (I have discovered I can get away with a drink of milk only for my night time cocos.) This is not pleasant in a situation like yours when one arrives home late and hungry. I might cheat with a couple of plain biscuits but will probably need extra gaviscon in the night if I do.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    SW, many apologies as I was convinced I had replied to you. I have erosive gastritus and a hiatus hernia. When first diagnosed I had no stomach problems but a constant feeling of pressure on my throat/windpipe and trouble swallowing hard or dry things, crisps, nuts etc.
    I avoid spicey foods and there are a few other things I've found that aggravate it. It also objects if I stray too much from my regular diet.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    No apology needed, Slosh. Still worth asking the GP, I think. My own problems started with a hiatus hernia, gastric erosion and evidence of foemer ulcers. (Thank you NSAIDS.)
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    I have NSAIDS to thank too!
    Setting my alarm for tomorrow morning to see if my luck is in!
    Julian of Norwich