Finally an answer

Options
mamadeesix
mamadeesix Member Posts: 83
edited 13. Jun 2018, 05:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Got some answers today at the rheum.....well as close to an actual answer as I suppose I am going to get at least for now. She believes that I do, in fact, have RA. I played devil's advocate......trying to make sure it wasn't osteo alone, or me being a whimp, or just the perfect storm of a bunch of issues that wasn't reeeeeralllly RA. She said although no one can be 100 percent sure, you have to go by all the pieces of the puzzle. In going over my medical history, x-rays, symptoms, reactions to meds so far. It all points to RA. She told me to stop (thank GOODness) the Lyrica. So tired of feeling drunk and locking my keys out of my car and the like. Instead she wants me to start Celebrex and then Methotrexate. The Celebrex I am more than onboard with. Hoping something besides pred. will work for inflammation/pain. The Metho.....I really want to research. It's pretty scary to me. So there it is. It helps somewhat to at least, know what I am most likely dealing with.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am pleased that you are edging closer to an answer, RA can be sero-positive and sero-negative so let's hope the new regimen will help. I had celebrex and found it very effective at reducing then stopping inflammation. I no longer take it or any other anti-inflammatory as my meds are working on that front. I am on injected meth, have been for years and have no trouble with it. I have never researched any drug and never will, other peoples' experiences are not mine, they don't have what I have, I am not medically trained so cannot possibly understand so many aspects of medication. The internet (like a little knowledge) is a dangerous thing but each to their own: if you enjoy being scared you will have fun! :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Welcome to the gang :D The gang no-one wants to join :roll:

Well answers are usually better than none answers but....

Methotrexate? I've been on it for years with no problems. And so have many others. And anything potentially serious is picked up by our regular blood tests before it becomes an issue.

I've never taken celebrex, one of the Cox 2 inhibitors. They were the NSAIDS brought out to not cause stomach problems like the usual ones do. By then the usual ones had done for my stomach so I'm off NSAIDS of any kind permanently. Several people on here do take them though and I hope the combo works well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mamadeesix
    mamadeesix Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks, guys.

You have eased my mind a bit about the mexo. I had just "heard" that diseased modifying drugs were a serious lot, so was unsure. Wanted to look into them, in general, is mostly what I meant. I am glad your experiences with them was good.

I know better than to look into any drug toooo much. They all sound horrid! lol.

My doctor did mention blood work to monitor things, so glad she is on top of that.

Also supposed to get a bone density test, in case I ever have a need to go on pred. again. I was diagnosed with osteopenia in 2012....so need to see where I am with that.

On one hand, I think.....I'm in the early stages.....maybe I shouldn't mess with metho and the like. But then my doc. says, at least in the early stages, you can prevent damage. This disease can be devastating. So a lot to think about.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    DMARDS are serious and powerful. No doubt about it. That's why the blood tests are so important. But RA is serious and powerful too. Sometimes I'd like to put a photo up on here when people say they don't want to take the meds and will try to deal with it by diet, herbal remedies, positive thinking etc. When I was diagnosed there were no scary meds as a result of which the only decent joints I have are the replaced ones. I am crooked throughout :lol: Believe me, you don't want a body like mine :lol:

Your doc's absolutely right. The sooner it can be knocked on the head the better. That's accepted medical wisdom. Go for it and we'll support you through the scary bits :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright