walking groups/stepping out groups in edinburgh

Options
Managing
Managing Member Posts: 4
edited 13. Jun 2018, 05:25 in Say Hello Archive
I was wondering if there were any walking groups/stepping out groups for people with arthritis? I live in Edinburgh.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Managing and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

You may have already done this but I popped Edinburgh into the search on the Main Arthritis Care Site, (the part entitled ‘In your Area’), and found the following:
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/in-your-area/near:55.953252;-3.188267;edinburgh

Now just in case none of the groups/stepping out sessions are near enough for you it might be an idea to let your local branch know. Who knows there could be others nearby who would love a stepping out group in Edinburgh too?

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can so do ask away!

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • Managing
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hello Managing and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

You may have already done this but I popped Edinburgh into the search on the Main Arthritis Care Site, (the part entitled ‘In your Area’), and found the following:
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/in-your-area/near:55.953252;-3.188267;edinburgh

Now just in case none of the groups/stepping out sessions are near enough for you it might be an idea to let your local branch know. Who knows there could be others nearby who would love a stepping out group in Edinburgh too?

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can so do ask away!

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
    Hi Ellen

There nearest one is Grangemouth which is mile from me. There does not seem to be a central edinburgh branch.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    That's the one I thought of i mile isn't too far - maybe worth a one-off visit at least to see what they advise?

Maybe one of our forum members might have some ideas too.

Best of luck

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi Managing and welcome from me too.

I'm guessing that, as Grangemouth is about 25 miles from Edinburgh, you meant to type 'miles' not 'mile'.

I can't really help except to say that, here in the Borders, the local doctors' surgeries and garden centres (?) seem full of norices about how to get fit even for those of us for whom that's quite a challenge. Not specifically for arthritics but possibly more interesting for that..Your local library might be able to help too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am happy doing solo walking because I control the pace, distance and time. The thought of an organised walk horrifies me because immediately one is under pressure to match the pace of the fastest in the group who won't necessarily be that concerned about slowing to match the pace of the slowest. If you know of other groups and how they are organised why don't you start one? There may well be others near to you thinking 'I wish this was happening' so why not make it happen? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Managing
    Options
    Hi Managing and welcome from me too.

I'm guessing that, as Grangemouth is about 25 miles from Edinburgh, you meant to type 'miles' not 'mile'.

I can't really help except to say that, here in the Borders, the local doctors' surgeries and garden centres (?) seem full of norices about how to get fit even for those of us for whom that's quite a challenge. Not specifically for arthritics but possibly more interesting for that..Your local library might be able to help too.

Yes, miles not mile! Thank you.I was thinking of contacting my local surgery. I'd love to know how the other stepping out groups a) got set up and b) how they run especially the principles around the walks. I do NPW here on the beach at Porty every week and so was looking for something similar on "flat earth".
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I know nothing about 'stepping out' groups and had to google a bit before realising that NPW probably stands for Nordic Pole Walking.

I guess one problem is that we all have different degrees of disability / ability. My husband and I do 'wheelchair walks' ie ones more or less wheelchair accessible in which I walk some and ride some. Because I can walk any tricky bits they don't have to be completely wheelchair accessible. Borders has a good booklet on wheelchair accessible walks and I imagine Edinburgh will have something similar in bookshops.

I found this site which might be of interest to you http://www.capability-scotland.org.uk/media/58348/leisure_activities.pdf It mentions the 'walks with wheelchairs' site which can be useful in that, even though you might not need a wheelchair, such walks are flat.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find something to suit and, if you do, please let us know as it might be useful to others.

Final thought - does the U3A do anything of the kind? A friend in Edinburgh has a very useful card enabling him to use several different golf courses thanks to them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright