Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Benepali - and other biologics

BettyMacBettyMac Posts: 164
edited 22. Jun 2018, 12:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm just about to start Benepali and wondered about the incidence of infections requiring antibiotics.

What have other people found?

I'm hoping a biologic will get my RA under control - but it sometimes seems that every drug requires another to control the side effects of the previous one.
It reminds me of one of those lines of dominoes; push the first one and ..................

Comments

• dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have been taking biologics for years and have not been any more ill with bugs and infections than I ever was. I am scrupulous about hand hygiene, as is my husband, and I always have anti-gravity wipes to hand:. oh I love auto-correct! I type what I want and my machine ignores it! Anti-bac wipes was the intention. Blasted technology.

I established my normal body temperature some years ago, I hover between 36 and 36.5. If I feel more under-the-weather than usual that is the first thing I check. My digital thermometer happily shows 37 or more in the green zone but I know for me that that is an indication that things are not right. My hospital has always told me to stop the meth and humira if I have a cough, sore throat and/or temperature so I do. I used to bother telling them, now I don't as they never reply. I avoid people with coughs and colds (they rarely understand the import of a suppressed immune system) because I know from the experience of others that one can be very ill and not necessarily know it.

I have found over the years that maintaining a quiet vigilance is all that is required. My spouse is also meticulous about hand hygiene and guests are usually quite accepting of a blob of hand gel on arrival, a ritual I introduced when I was working as a personal tutor and had pupils coming into my home. It is a big deal but best treated as though it is not - and don't forget the anti-gravity wipes. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭
    I've never done biologics but deal with DMARDS (meth and hydroxy for me) exactly as DD does. I don't think I am prescribed antibios any more now than I was 18 years ago before I started on these meds. Go for it, BettyMac and I hope it works for you.
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • BettyMacBettyMac Posts: 164
    Anti-gravity wipes!
    Love it
    😍

Thanks for your replies.
    I haven't noticed any more infections while I've been on methotrexate but it obviously pays to be sensibly careful about things.
  • daffy2daffy2 Posts: 1,713
    Now that would be a really useful invention, anti-gravity wipes, can think of many situations where they would make my life so much easier, lacking A N Other to help with lugging duties.