Options
Teri66
Teri66 Member Posts: 19
edited 25. Jun 2018, 05:09 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone, I’ve recently been diagnosed OA in both hips, the left being the worst, I’d been in pain for quite some time relieving it with ibuprofen until that wasn’t touching the pain, my daughter nagged me into seeing my GP who in turn sent me for an X-ray as she suspected arthritis.
I have good and bad days pain wise, and mostly try to get by on paracetamol (Dr. told me paracetamol over ibuprofen because of the side effects ibuprofen can cause) she has prescribed codeine but only take that when the pain is really bad, and Amitryptyline for night time.
I work full time in a warehouse, I’m on my feet most of the day which can be hard going at times as by mid afternoon the pain gets quite bad, although to be fair I’ve alerted my employer to my recent diagnosis and they are bringing someone in to look at my work area and see how they can adapt things to make life easier for me and look at ways to enable me to sit down when I need it.
I’m trying to remain as active as I can, but I certainly feel it when I’ve over done things. I’ve been used to long hikes with the dogs but I suffer for days after if I attempt them now 👎🏼

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Teri66,

Welcome to the forum, hip arthritis can be very painful, and it can take time to be approved for a new hip, which is the ultimate solution to the problem.

We have a number of members with hip arthritis, myself included, I have medication for arthritis in a number of joints and at the moment my knees are worst for me.

Here's our leaflet on hip arthritis, do get in touch to let us know how you get on, and what arrangements you get from work too, great that they are being proactive in providing you with help.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/853/OAhip_2017_Update_original.pdf?1509540905

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in both hips, both knees and both ankles, it's not much fun. :wink: Employment-wise I was fortunate to be self-employed so I could adjust matter to suit me, it's good to read that your employer is at least willing to see what can be done to help you and I hope they can come up with suitable solutions to help.

I have to go now, I'll be back tomorrow. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello :D

i think both you and your GP are doing all the right things but, sadly, that doesn't guarantee a painfree existence. It's good that your employer is being helpful but sad that you can no longer do all you'd like to do with the dogs. We all have to learn the hard way what we can and can't do. Perhaps shorter walks and maybe, if you can cope, more often. If it's any consolation, my husband's hip is in a bad way but, due to all the walking, golfing and gardening that he does, the muscles are strong and supporting the joint well so he's not in line for a new hip just yet and manages it with just the odd painkiller and ibuprofen.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright