Deadlifting and Squatting at the Gym

Mart042
Mart042 Member Posts: 13
edited 2. Jul 2018, 15:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a hip replacement last May and have been back at the gym for some months now. I used to power lift and recently felt ready to start deadlifting again, using reasonably light weights, just to test the water.

However, something is niggling at the back of mind whether it's going to cause issues or abnormal wear and tear on the implant. I've just turned 50 and want it to last as long as possible.

Anybody else gone back to heavy lifting after a similar op? Any advice gladly taken. Thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hip-replacement/recovery/

Never ever take a THR beyond 90 degrees even without weights unless you want to dislocate it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    New joints can change one's life for the better in terms of improved mobility and reduced pain but they have their limitations when compared to the healthy originals, especially in the area of range of movement and placing the joint under stress. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    You might be better off doing leg pushes on a machine rather than lifting body weight and extra weights?

Presumably you've only had one done? Thought might be given to no load bearing exercise?
  • Maturecheese
    Maturecheese Member Posts: 130
    Now you've struck a nerve. Until a year last November I too was deadlifting, squatting, bench pressing and doing cleans amongst my crossfit style workouts. Now i am lucky if I can get 9 holes of golf in. I guess there comes a time when we just have to hang up our boots so to speak and accept the limitations of our condition. I get depressed about it from time to time as I was keeping a fairly dodgy lifestyle (too much drink, too much of the wrong food and smoking as well) at bay with rigorous exercise and now I can't. It's like all those years of effort was for nothing. So I guess my point is you are not alone in not being able to do the things you could before. I would take the advice given and be carefulif you want to preserve your new joints. Maybe talk to a physiotherapist as to just how far you can go towards deadlifting and squatting.
  • Mart042
    Mart042 Member Posts: 13
    Now you've struck a nerve. Until a year last November I too was deadlifting, squatting, bench pressing and doing cleans amongst my crossfit style workouts. Now i am lucky if I can get 9 holes of golf in. I guess there comes a time when we just have to hang up our boots so to speak and accept the limitations of our condition. I get depressed about it from time to time as I was keeping a fairly dodgy lifestyle (too much drink, too much of the wrong food and smoking as well) at bay with rigorous exercise and now I can't. It's like all those years of effort was for nothing. So I guess my point is you are not alone in not being able to do the things you could before. I would take the advice given and be carefulif you want to preserve your new joints. Maybe talk to a physiotherapist as to just how far you can go towards deadlifting and squatting.