Hello Everyone

Options
becs4trees
becs4trees Member Posts: 2
edited 20. Jul 2018, 09:53 in Say Hello Archive
Hello Everyone, I am 37 and was diagnosed with OA in my midfoot four years ago. After not a lot of help from the GP, I asked for a referral for orthotic insoles and they have been helpful for the last three years. I have quite a physical job and I often walk around 5 miles a day, which recently has been getting more painful again.

I have now been referred to an orthopedic consultant who is now on the case. I have a steroid injection booked in and a visit for some new orthotics. Hopefully all of that will reduce the pain a fair bit. It feels good to have a doctor take me seriously and I will be going for check ups with him to see how the arthritis progresses.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello

Welcome to the forum. I am one of the moderators and we all have one or more types of the Arthritis 'hangers on' or look after family with the same.

I hope you find the forum helpful for you. The members are friendly, can emphasis, support and offer advice to you. It might be useful for you to write a post on The Living with Arthritis section as this is the one that most people use.

There are several members here who have osteoarthritis and will be able to answer many of the questions you have.

At the top of the forum pages you will see links to several Arthritis sections. They are all very good.

Hope to see you posting again.
    Best wishes

ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me, too :D It sounds as if you have everything under as much control as possible and that's good. I hope the new insoles help and the appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon is fruitful. We're here to help any way we can. I'll look forward to seeing you around. :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have both sorts of arthritis and all over the shop, my days of helpful orthotics are long gone but I still use them. TBH GPs are limited with what they can do, it seems bizarre in this day-and-age that there is nothing more on offer but surgery can be effective once a sufficient level of damage has been reached. I manage my OA with pain relief and rest but it always worsens in bad weather. Work-wise I was lucky because I was self-employed (my boss was very understanding :wink: ) I hope the steroid decides to work but it is not a cure, it merely masks the symptoms. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben