Shoulder pain

Options
Teri66
Teri66 Member Posts: 19
edited 25. Jul 2018, 06:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, I seem to get one thing under control and something else crops up, my GP prescribed Amitriptyline for nerve pain (I have OA in my hips) and after early side effects that have now settled down they seem to be working their magic and I was relatively pain free, not so now, I’ve been suffering shoulder pain, both of them, I had a weeks holiday and hoped that whatever it was would settle down with a rest from work, but not so, today I went to see a GP, he examined me, asked lots of questions (have I had any previous joint problems? etc...if he’d bothered to look at my records he’d have known recently diagnosed OA) then gave me a prescription for Naproxen and told me to go back if it’s not better in two weeks...I’m hoping it helps, as today being my first day back to work after my holiday it was quite a struggle (I have quite a physical job) and paracetamol just didn’t touch the pain, I do have codeine to hand but reluctant to use that as it leaves me quite ‘spacey’ , work are trying to help as much as they can with regards to adjusting my work space, but there’s absolutely nothing they can do with regards to painful shoulders.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Teri66

Welcome to the Arthritis Care and Arthritis Research Forum.

I'm sorry to see you are struggling with your arthritis pain, I think once you get a proper definitive diagnosis and able to pinpoint your problem then the correct medication will follow to support you in work. Like you, there re many of the forum users with similar problems so I'm sure they will be along to support you. Good luck with everything and enjoy the forum.

Find the links for both Arthritis Care/Research re osteoarthritis and your medications which will give you better understandings.

Arthritis Care Helpline is at the head of page, its a free phone number should you wish to have a chat.

John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Painful shoulders are nasty things because it's so hard to get comfortable at all with them. I hope the naproxen works. Always take it with a little food to mitigate against any stomach problems and, if you still have stomach problems, or if you need to take it for longer than a couple of weeks, ask your GP for a stomach-protecting med to go with it. I hope things improve.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Lets talk a bit of reality here, if you have a job where you are struggling then things will get worse, if the pain level drops due to medication then arther will continue to develop whilst you work.

Go and see your Union rep, Human Resources or whatever its called in your firm, your employers are responsible (as you are) for your health.

Good luck.
  • Teri66
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    Lets talk a bit of reality here, if you have a job where you are struggling then things will get worse, if the pain level drops due to medication then arther will continue to develop whilst you work.

Go and see your Union rep, Human Resources or whatever its called in your firm, your employers are responsible (as you are) for your health.

Good luck.

I have been thinking realistically about work, and I know if this turns out to be arthritis in my shoulders I won’t be able to continue in the role I have now, whether they can find me a position elsewhere in the company I as of yet don’t know, if not I’ll have to find employment elsewhere (I know that won’t be too easy) I’ve only recently been diagnosed with OA of the hips and they’ve had a nice chair for my workstation designed to make things more comfortable for me, but something for my shoulders? I think even they will be stumped by that one!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Remember we are talking about the rest of your life here, what you do now will affect you through work, retirement and to the end of your days. It will affect absolutely every part of your life, you need professional help from your human resources now, you might not like what you hear but in 20 years time you will be better off for it.

Believe me, I've been there.
  • Teri66
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    Remember we are talking about the rest of your life here, what you do now will affect you through work, retirement and to the end of your days. It will affect absolutely every part of your life, you need professional help from your human resources now, you might not like what you hear but in 20 years time you will be better off for it.

Believe me, I've been there.

I have an appointment with HR on Friday, I’ve only been on ‘light’ work and even with more than allowable pain relief on top of the Naproxen it’s just not touching the pain, I’ve just got in from work and I’m exhausted and that’s just from trying to cope with the pain, I’m 52 and feel twice that!
  • Teri66
    Options
    Update:
    Returned to see a GP today as pain relief has had little effect, I’ve had to take time off work as I wasn’t coping with the pain, and I’ve also developed pins & needles/burning sensation down my arms (the left side is the worst) as I very rarely get to see the same GP at our surgery this particular one is sending me off for X-rays and a scan to try and get to the bottom of my symptoms, so now the wait for my appointments, fingers crossed they come quickly.

Teri
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The grim reality about pain relief is that it doesn't relieve enough of it, not when it's pain like ours. Paracetamol etc. is fine for little twinges and maybe a mild headache but for the likes of us it merely dulls the sharper edges. I am pleased that this other GP is taking some action, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben