Folic Acid

Options
Maturecheese
Maturecheese Member Posts: 130
edited 1. Aug 2018, 12:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was prescribed 5mg Folic acid to take two days after taking methotrexate (20mg) but since then I have been prescribed 2g a day of Sulfasalazine as well. I have read that if on Sulfasalazine you should also take Folic acid. Should I be taking more than 5mg once a week?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't think we are not the ones to ask, MC, this is a question for your rheumatology department. I was never given FA when I was only taking sulph, now I take 5mg once a week when I remember (I went for a couple of years without because of a medmin error not of my making). I hope you can get in touch soon to clarify. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Alot of us on here are on Meth + Sultha + a biologic but only take folic acid for Meth . only your consultant can change the dose but it varies how much we take , I was on six 5mg tablets a week because of problems with blood test , it helps with hair thinning as well

long term you need to protect your joints , & taking the meds will help , some of us here have suffered along time , I am close to 25 years & some are longer , just hope they will find a good treatment at some point where you can live a normal life
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, did you contact the rheumatology department? If so what did they say? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    Been a bit lazy regarding contacting The Rheumey dept as it involves an answer machine and it's not that important and they are probably fed up of hearing from me :) Will do so Mon or Tues. EDIT: rang today (answer mc as usual) so waiting for them to get back to me.
  • Maturecheese
    Options
    Apparently I don't need to take any more Folic acid than I am already. The Rheumey nurse told me that the only reason I would have to take more than I already am is if the blood tests showed a need for it. She also mentioned something about Seronegative so I'm still in the dark as to what type of autoimmune I have. She is going to make an appointment for me to see the Rheumey nurse who liaises with the Consultant (The other one that is normally there) with a view I think to adding another DMARD as my inflammation is still not under control.