Shaking and low oxygen levels after general anaesthetic?

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 19. Aug 2018, 14:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's a while since I've been on the forum, so I'll start by apologising for that.

After my last two general anaesthetics, when I've come round, I've shaken uncontrollably and had to have medication. Most unpleasant. I also had low oxygen levels.

Some of you may remember that I had a trapeziectomy two years ago on my left hand and decided to have a nerve block. Unfortunately, this didn't go well as, even after two injections, my arm and hand were not completely numbed, so I had to have Fentanyl so that they could complete the operation. Even so, I could still feel everything.

Now my right hand is very painful and I know my GP is keen to refer me for another trapeziectomy. I feel it would be wise to have a general anaesthetic this time, as I don't want a repeat of my previous experience with the nerve block. Have others have had this horrid shaking after a general anaesthetic? And is it common to have low oxygen levels after anaesthesia?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Megrose :D It's lovely to see you again but, please, no apologies for absence. You have a lot to deal with as I recall.

Post-op I usually find myself cocooned in swaddling clothes which I discard bit by bit as I warm up. I take it from this that it's normal to be chilly after operations and maybe, as I normally 'run hot', I recover a bit quicker, and more naturally (ie without medicaton) than you.

Low oxygen? Yes, I think this is normal too. After my knee revision I had the ignominy of being taken back into ICU the day after so that I could be better monitored until my oxygen levels rose. Some of those nose things are better than others but I can't say I like any of them. I think deep breathing helps.

Personally, I'd just explain, at any pre-op, exactly what you've told us and leave it up to the anaesthetist to decide what's best for you. We are not necessarily the ones best placed to decide. Whatever does, or doesn't, happen I hope it all goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to see you again and no apologies for absence are necessary. I have very little recall of coming round after GA (apart from feeling very sad that once again I am in pain :lol: ) but I agree with Sticky: talk it over at your pre-op appointment with those who understand more about anaesthesia than us frequent flyers to theatre. I am sure that if they are made aware of the trouble you have had in the past they will be doubly vigilant. Good luck, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Yes, definitely discuss your issues at pre-op or ask for a pre-op assessment.

I have issues with GA and they have to be very careful with me so we tend to have quite a long chat about options, there are different ones they can use, they can change the amount, mix etc.

Good luck.
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. It's daft, isn't it, to be more scared of the anaesthetic than the operation? It's so helpful to hear of your experiences and your advice. I had a very thorough pre-op assessment for my previous trapeziectomy - they actually found a heart murmur, so I had to have an echocardiogram before they would operate. The echocardiogram was clear, so it was something and nothing. However, I'll take your advice and write down my questions before I go for it so I'm well prepared. Very useful post, Palo, I didn't even think that they would be able to change mixtures etc., so thank you for that.

I've made an appointment to see my GP about referring me, but can't get a standard appointment until September, so will struggle on till then.

Thanks again, Meg
  • Katie21
    Katie21 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Mine is very different in that it was the dentists. I came round screaming extremely loud.

I must have scared all his patients... :mrgreen: I had all teeth removed and regret it now. I have many jaw bone lumpiness.