Hello eastern Canada - tightrope suspensionplasty

Options
AnnaTrap
AnnaTrap Member Posts: 3
edited 3. Dec 2018, 13:48 in Say Hello Archive
I am 9 weeks post op. From the web down, my thumb doesn’t move. I believe the surgeon pulled the tightrope too tightly. Can this be remediated? Also my wrist hurts. As it is, I would rather have the pain I had prior to surgery. Anyone out there have any experience with this surgery?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, AnnaTrap, from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience of tightrope suspensionplasty. As far as I can remember no-one on this forum has ever mentioned such surgery. I have done a ‘search’ of forum posts and nothing has come up on the procedure.

Members on here have mostly been offered trapeziectomy (information available here if you are interested: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/671-osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist )

If it is any consolation trapeziectomy is discussed very, very often on the forum with varying success and pain levels as well as recovery times:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=trapeziectomy&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I am so sorry not to be able to help you much in your search for support. I can at least guarantee the members will be as supportive as they can be, should you chose to continue to post here.

Very best wishes

Ellen
  • AnnaTrap
    AnnaTrap Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes there isn’t much on the internet about it. My surgeon indicated it was a rather new procedure. All I know is the results, with my thumb in a relaxed resting position. I can’t flatten it. And have very limited range of motion. I will explore options with my GO this week, before seeing the surgeon next week. Wish me luck!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello. I'm sorry I'm a bit late and, frankly, I'm not going to be any use to you now I'm here :roll: as I've never heard this mentioned either. I think your plan is a good one, though and I do hope you get some answers and help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I had a traditional trapeziectomy 5 years ago which has sadly now failed and my thumb has just dropped back down . I am due to have the tightrope procedure in March. A lot of recent reporting is very positive . Will let you know, can’t be much worse than what I am putting up with now.