Free 'Flu Jab for the Immuno-suppressed.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Oct 2018, 11:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's getting towards that time of year and I suddenly realised that in the last twelve months we've met many folk on here who are new to living with an auto-immune arthritis.

You may not know that if you are taking a DMARD then you are entitled to a free 'flu jab from your GP's surgery. I have had an annual 'flu jab for more years than I care to remember and I and sure it helps to preserve better health .over the winter months. I saw an item in the press today from a supermarket advertising their service but you do not have to pay it you are taking a DMARD or anti-TNF. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I see, from my health Centre's website that they're already offering a 'Just Turn Up' day at the end of October but I like to get mine in before the colds and sniffles start so I'll be asking on Monday when I see the Practice Nurse.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Last week I received two texts from my surgery, the first asked me to like them on FB (fat chance) and the second advised I could book my 'flu jab online so there would be no need to ring the surgery. I failed in my attempt to do just that as the option for booking a jab (even with the required FLU18 'password') was not 'live'. Official medmin at its finest.

I irritated the receptionist by ringing the surgery and doing it over the 'phone. Us patients are obviously the bane of her life. :D
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Those with OA get it as well, at least at our surgery, I've had it for a few years now and the reminders have just come in.
  • dreamdaisy
    I wonder why? OA-ers don't take the meds we auto-immuners do so are at no more risk than anyone else in the general population. Our risk is greater, lucky us. :roll: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Perhaps Airwave gets a free jab because of....dare I say it?....age rather than disease. Everyone 65 and over is entitles to a free one. And, before Mr SW qualified by age, he got one too to protect me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Nah, I'm not there yet, young at heart if nothing else. The only immune thing I have is with my bones. Winter is a bad time for oa and having the flu does pull me down for weeks at a time, misery on top of pain.
  • dreamdaisy
    I had mine yesterday so have steered clear of the DMARDs this week (always a nice thing to do :wink: ). I also had the pneumonia jab which I wasn't expecting but both arms are fine.

There was a classic medmin yesterday; the surgery was running two clinics, one for the under 65s and one for the over as there is a different innoculation for the older group. This was delivered on Friday but minus needles, not the surgery's fault. The delays caused by adding a needle to a phial mounted (in addition to the usual delay with people not removing coats and jumpers until they got in and sat down). How those morons have the nerve to moan about the queue when they are a major contributing factor is beyond me. DD
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    I’ve had the flu jab for many years as an NHS worker. The later years because I take DMRDS. This year ( what joy) I’m 65 and was informed that I qualify for the super duper flu jab. This is going to BOOST my immune system even more. Now I’m not sure that’s a good thing for us or not. On one hand I’ve had a jab to boost my immune system whilst at the same time taking Dmards to suppress my immune system. I suppose it’s just the vagaries of medicine. Keep taking the pills.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Went for my fortnightly bloods on Friday and was swiftly offered my flu jab in the other arm-oh the joys of life as an auto-immuner :?

Here's hoping it works as the medical professionals are suggesting there may be a really nasty flu virus prevalent this winter.

DD it didn't occur to me to avoid taking the DMARD's...…..I've only been playing this ridiculous game for around 16 years, clearly I haven't got the hang of it yet. :oops:

Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    It has always been my hospital's advice to not take the meds when I have the flu jab. When I used to go there for the meth injection they were quite happy for me to miss a fortnight when on holiday or time when I needed anti-bios etc. Whether the fact that mine is a teaching hospital has anything to do with this or not I don't know but it makes sense to me. If the immune system is to be deliberately atimulated then why suppress it too? I feel that missing the meds for such a short period of time is neither here-nor-there arthritis-wise. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    It makes absolute sense DD-I haven't taken any today and will probably give them a miss for a few days.
    Deb